All the ways to make a .x file

Started by
9 comments, last by Link 19 years, 6 months ago
i know by 3dsmax exporting .x using PandaSoft Plugin. Other ways?
Advertisement
conv3ds
No Soup For You!Come Back 1 Year Later!
- conversion from another format using a package such as Right Hemisphere's "Deep Exploration" or Okino's "PolyTrans".

- your own loader to load from another format into an ID3DXMesh and then a call to D3DXSaveMeshToX(). The loading part of this is demonstrated in the MeshFromOBJ sample in the DirectX 9 SDK Update (Summer 2004).

- there are plugins for Maya as well as 3DS Max

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

where is the best way?

The problem is find an exporter that handle also the shaders informations i do on my mesh.
I think GameSpace Lite (free) exports to .X files. It does have a polygon limit (not sure how high).

www.persistentrealities.com for Inline ASM for VB, VB Fibre, and other nice code samples in C++, PHP, ASP, etc.<br/>Play Yet Another Laser Game!<br/>
are u reffering to shaders exporting?
I had the same problem with .X files. It could not contain all the data I wanted. For example, I wanted the material structure to have information related to bump map textures and the vertices to contain a tangent vector etc. I looked at other formats such as .3DS and .obj but couldn't find anything suitable (.3DS doesn't contain vertex normals!!!)

In the end I just designed my own chunk based file format that contained the data structures I wanted and wrote a converter from .X.
I believe .X is designed so you can add your own "templates" (data) to it. NEver used it though, since figurig out how to load a simple boneanimation is me way to complex.

www.persistentrealities.com for Inline ASM for VB, VB Fibre, and other nice code samples in C++, PHP, ASP, etc.<br/>Play Yet Another Laser Game!<br/>
Ok but how can create my own data to add in .x file?
How can i know what i can write inside?
Quote:Original post by Link
Ok but how can create my own data to add in .x file?
How can i know what i can write inside?

You could start by searching on the 'net, looking for X files tutorials, which teach you how to write them with Notepad or something.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement