do these guys have a chance?

Started by
10 comments, last by bobstevens 19 years, 7 months ago
there's these guys at this one board I hang out at from time to time that want to make a video game. basically, its the typical "guys with photoshop think they can make a game" situation with a twist. the guy that's starting the project has made a simple game before in VB (yeah, I know), and has worked with OpenGL... 5 years ago, and he doesn't want to do the coding now. they plan to design the game, make all the art/sprites, and (here's the catch), find a coder and have them make the game. do they honestly have a chance? here's the topic, read through and tell me if this project of theirs has a snowball's chance in hell: warning! offensive language http://forums.filenotfound.org//index.php?act=Print&client=printer&f=23&t=70810 I'm starting out in game dev'ing, I'd like to know what more experienced people think.

Learn to make games with my SDL 2 Tutorials

Advertisement
There's always a chance. But it's more likely well meet an alien civilization before they finish their game.
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.
Unlikely.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
I figured. eh, I'll just let the project slowly die on its own, rather than crush their dreams and piss them off.

some of their artists are good, and I'd like to work with them when I get better.

I wish i would have done that instead of pissing the guy with the idea off, then again i can chuck him a couple hundred feet at least. I just had that same thing but only with coders...err, very newbie coders, the MMO kind, well actually it was just that same guy, im pretty sure the others can figure it out before its too late.
Ooh, look! Newbie elitism!

Quote:Original post by Lazy Foo
the guy that's starting the project has made a simple game before in VB (yeah, I know)...
What do you "know"? I suppose you've bought into the notion that it is impossible to make performant games in VB. Well, that's just not true.

Strike 1.

Quote:do they honestly have a chance?
Strike 2. Everybody has a chance. They may not have the fortitude or werewithal to turn that chance into a certainty, but they definitely have a chance.

Quote:I'm starting out in game dev'ing, I'd like to know what more experienced people think.
Strike 3. We think you should be spending your time learning, not criticizing and "hating" on other people.

Quote:I figured. eh, I'll just let the project slowly die on its own, rather than crush their dreams and piss them off.
Strike 4 (whoo, you're in the doghouse now!) Why do you think you have to "crush their dreams"? What gives you the impression that you even have the authority to do so? Why, of all the possibilities of this situation, is that the one you gravitate toward?

You need to rethink your priorities. Your priorities are (or at least should be) learning and getting better, not shooting other people down. Even when you disagree (violently, even) with a person over an idea, there's no need to become disagreeable.

Disclaimer: I am aware this sounds like hypocrisy coming from me. I could explain how even my most abrasive encounters have separated person from principle, but it's off-topic.
Quote:
You need to rethink your priorities. Your priorities are (or at least should be) learning and getting better, not shooting other people down. Even when you disagree (violently, even) with a person over an idea, there's no need to become disagreeable.

In other words: "don't argue something that's not going to help you attain your goals." A greate rule of thumb. This is why I quoted it--b/c i'm trying not to argue ;).
"I study differential and integral calculus in my spare time." -- Karl Marx
Quote:
Posted by: FuckChrist Sep 28 2004, 11:27 AM

Just because of his username I am wishing this guy the best of luck [smile].

Seriously, I can see the project dying out of frustration or boredom, but this is like the first time you fall in love, you dont really know what you're getting into, and at the moment it makes you feel great.

You have to admit, that post is a lot better than any of the "who wants to make my game for me because I am too lazy to learn" posts you get to see on the help wanted forum.

Ahh to be young and stupid again!!!111oneone [smile]
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
Ooh, look! Newbie elitism!

the guy that's starting the project has made a simple game before in VB (yeah, I know)...
What do you "know"? I suppose you've bought into the notion that it is impossible to make performant games in VB. Well, that's just not true.

Strike 1.

Quote:do they honestly have a chance?
Strike 2. Everybody has a chance. They may not have the fortitude or werewithal to turn that chance into a certainty, but they definitely have a chance.

Quote:I'm starting out in game dev'ing, I'd like to know what more experienced people think.
Strike 3. We think you should be spending your time learning, not criticizing and "hating" on other people.

Quote:I figured. eh, I'll just let the project slowly die on its own, rather than crush their dreams and piss them off.
Strike 4 (whoo, you're in the doghouse now!) Why do you think you have to "crush their dreams"? What gives you the impression that you even have the authority to do so? Why, of all the possibilities of this situation, is that the one you gravitate toward?

Disclaimer: I am aware this sounds like hypocrisy coming from me. I could explain how even my most abrasive encounters have separated person from principle, but it's off-topic.

^^^
yeah after all, I spend time hours on end searching the internet looking for excuses to deride people's work. [rolleyes]

^^^
yeah after all, I spend time hours on end searching the internet looking for excuses to deride people's work. [rolleyes]

What are you rolling your eyes at? Maybe he was a bit harsh, but surely you can admit that Oluseyi wasn't 100% wrong. I mean, you did take the time to post it here and make the statements that you did.

We could all use a third party assessment once in a while. If it makes us upset, then maybe it's getting to the heart of the matter.

Cheers and the best to you.
If a plant cannot live according to its nature, it dies; so a man.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement