[web] Web page assistance please.

Started by
11 comments, last by PnP Bios 19 years, 6 months ago
Anyways, the link is in my sig. I'm posting it over here mainly because I am taking a break from the lounge. I hope this is the right forum. back on topic... my page sucks. I'm not realy a web developer, if you hadn't noticed. But I would like to build something other than a text site. Tools at my disposal: -Dreamweaver 2k4 MX -PSP 9 Critique my current site, or offer me suggestions to build a fresh one. Either way, I need some help. I suck at the internet. {edit}Eh... ok. The first link is my page. Sorry for the confusion.{/edit}
HxRender | Cornerstone SDL TutorialsCurrently picking on: Hedos, Programmer One
Advertisement
There are 3 links in your sig; which would you like evaluating?
see edit. the first link.
I'd use more headings for one...

Quote:
SDL Tutorials by Joel Longanecker
Last update: September 10, 2004
(some small updates)

It doesn't exactly 'scream' at the user. You want to at least have a heading to make the user aware of what page they've stumbled on. It's a shame that the hit counter stands out more than any of the text on your main page. A few images to spice up the page would be good, at least something to draw the attention away from the counter and perhaps set the scene for the information you're about to convey. I'm a fan of top or side banner images on sites, but others have different preferences.

I like the way you've coloured the source code text and put it in a different font, but perhaps a div with a border and different background colour would help lift the section off the page and highlight it's importance to the user.

I'd also consider having a menu bar of some sort, allowing the user to go to any tutorial or major section of your site with one mouse click. At present I'm having to hit "back" on my browser and select another tutorial - not exactly the friendliest in user-interface design. Jacob Nielsen (the usability guru) advises that any (major) page in your site should be three clicks away from the one you're on. His stuff's worth checking out if you feel like a read UseIt.com - Alterbox (which reminds me to put it in the FAQ).

I'd also take a look at how your text is structured. On my 1280x960 screen I get single lines of text stretching right across the screen. Whilst it's not necessarily bad, it looks as if a lot of space is wasted. I also noticed that a few of your links are broken - is that intentional?

Whilst it's not a perfect example, I'm also working on a tutorial page - you may wish to look at it for some ideas perhaps?

Keep dropping by here for advice, there's some really talented web designers amongst the crowd that are likely to offer you some great advice. You might want to look at the Official Site Thread I started over here, it's a great place to look at people's work and get ideas for your site. Good luck and let us know how you progress.
I like the third link in your sig.
Nice site! A couple of notes:
1) Get rid of the border around the table.
2) Make the width of the table 100%.
3) Center the menu links.

That'll leave you with something cool looking. Just play around with it and it'll be super-duper.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Since the web-site seems to be about the tutorials, put them on the main page, and get rid of the counters, you don't need them.
Onemind, my site features the tutorials. this is actaualy going to be my personal webspace as well.

Rob, I did some of the things you said to fix it.

And as far as I can tell, all of my links work as well.

I'm going to check out some of those sites mentioned right now.

One thing, those tutorials were oringinaly meant to be printer friendly, I could spruce them up a bit.
update:
cleaned up the pages a bit. Still not alot of new content, but I added a template to the tutorials. Now it looks a bit better.
I would add a small margin to the page itself. The text on the left has a tendancy to fall right off the page.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement