Pointers

Started by
6 comments, last by Drag0n 19 years, 7 months ago
In my Vector class there is a method which sepose to return it as a string when i do this code

char *V2D::toString()
{
	char str[50];
	sprintf(&str[0],"(%f , %f)",x,y);

return &str[0];
}

and use cout<<v.toString(); it outputs trash But when i use char *str= new char[50]

char *V2D::toString()
{
	char *str = new char[50];
	sprintf(str,"(%f , %f)",x,y);

return str;
}

it works fine. I dont want to allocate a new string each time toString method is being used.
;)
Advertisement
In your toString function, create the char string as a static variable. Boom, done.

Only word of warning is if you try and store the returned string.

Since it will change everytime you call the function.

:)

Hope that helps,

Rigear
The string you're allocating in the toString function is allocated on the stack meaning that it goes out of scope when the function returns. After this, there's no guarantee of it's contents (as it's memory is given back to the stack) so that explains why you're getting garbage.

One way of doing this would be to store a buffer in your vector class that's filled by the toString function and returned back; you could also declare the str buffer as static - however I doubt either of these methods are threadsafe (especially the second). Another (more preferred way) would be to pass a buffer (maybe std::string) to the toString function which is then filled by the function. This takes all the memory allocation away from the vector class and puts the owness clearly on the function calling the toString method.
Hi!

The problem with your code is, that you return a pointer to a local variable (str). Your options are in this case to create a new string each time the method is called, or have a large enough string as a parameter which you can then write the string to. Like this:

void V2D::toString( char* str ){  sprintf( str, "(%f, %f)", x, y );}

The problem with this is, though, that you have to rely on a large enough buffer being passed to the function.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Drag0n
-----------------------------"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning..." -- Rich Cook"...nobody ever accused English pronounciation and spelling of being logical." -- Bjarne Stroustrup"...the war on terror is going badly because, if you where to compare it to WWII, it's like America being attacked by Japan, and responding by invading Brazil." -- Michalson
Ohhh, how could i forgot :/ I must never return variables of function scopes. Thanks :)
And you are right I should allocate a buffer for each vector instance!
;)
Quote:Original post by Drag0n
The problem with this is, though, that you have to rely on a large enough buffer being passed to the function.

I'd personally use a std::string in order to ensure such problems don't occur. In safe programming you should never assume that the buffer is big enough ;)
Storing a buffer for every vector instance will escalate very very fast. I'd suggest using a private static buffer for the class. (or even better std::string! but I provide a char-array example to go with your first attempts)
class V2D{public:	...private:	...	static char m_string[50];	// since 50 was the number you're using in your example, see note below};const char *V2D::toString(){	sprintf(m_string,"(%f, %f)",x,y);	return &m_string;}

Or something similar, haven't got the time to read it through for errors atm :) Why 50 size of the buffer though?
With regular floats you have 23 bits of mantissa, which equals a maximum of 7 significant digits. Add 2 for the "0." and you have 9 characters for each float.

Surely the buffer doesn't have to be larger than 23 characters? ( 9 per float + 5 for "(, )" + terminating null character? Or have I missed something? (probably have, am quite tired atm:)

Then again, it's better to have a slightly oversized buffer than a too small one :) (and it's only 27 bytes difference since you'll be storing it statically)

Do consider using std::string though, and you won't have to worry about the buffer size :)

Enough ranting from me :)
Quote:Original post by evolutional
Quote:Original post by Drag0n

I'd personally use a std::string in order to ensure such problems don't occur. In safe programming you should never assume that the buffer is big enough ;)

True, true, but I recall reading the thread title "Pointers". ;)

You're of course right, the standard library is part of the language and should be used. Especially in this case.

Cheers,
Drag0n
-----------------------------"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning..." -- Rich Cook"...nobody ever accused English pronounciation and spelling of being logical." -- Bjarne Stroustrup"...the war on terror is going badly because, if you where to compare it to WWII, it's like America being attacked by Japan, and responding by invading Brazil." -- Michalson

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement