program to convert 3d studio files to direct x format.

Started by
2 comments, last by netflow 19 years, 6 months ago
i heard something of a program included in directX 7 that converted 3d studio max animation files to a format compatiable with direct x. what is the name of this program, will it work with direct x 9 (managed), and after the file is converted, what else has to be done to bring the animation into my application so i can use it?
I currently only use c# and directX9, in case its relivant and i didnt mention it in the post
Advertisement
yea all versions of dx sdk come with a plugin for max to convert to x files. But you have to compile it yourself. A better one is the Panda plugin (google for it). Your animations (bone transforms) can be exported in the x file, check the ID3DXSkinInfo interface and the SkinnedMesh sample in the sdk to learn more of the dx side. and yes it will work on managed dx.

The stand-alone converter should be in the DirectX9 SDK Extras package. I know for sure that it's in the DirectX 8.1b SDK Extras package. The converter hasn't changed at all, so the two version are the exact same.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
I also use Panda, it works great

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement