New in game programming

Started by
5 comments, last by overlord 23 years, 6 months ago
which one is best to 3d game programming: opengl, direct3d im or direct3d rm?
Advertisement
(i have little OpenGL experience and no Direct3D experience, but i think i can help you nonetheless..)
there is no better, only preference, between Direct3D and OpenGL
someone correct me if i''m wrong, i believe Direct3DIM is what one would use for a game if one were to use Direct3D.. i believe it provides faster access, while Direct3DRM provides a simpler (but slower) interface.. like i said, i could be wrong...

(by the way, this question will probably get at least a few irritated responses. it''s gotta be answered in just about every FAQ on GameDev.. and it''s in the wrong forum)

------------------------
IUnknown *pUnkOuter

"Just do your best and
don't worry"
--Morrissey

"Try the best you can
try the best you can
the best you can is good enough"
--Radiohead

"Are you looking for new ways
to do better than your worst"
--Nick Drake
------------------------IUnknown *pUnkOuter"Try the best you cantry the best you canthe best you can is good enough" --Radiohead
yeah, you''re vet fodder, now.

on the main page, at the top left, there''s a beginner''s link. it''ll lead to a wonderful new world.

but to answer your question, yes, it''s preference. d3d im is harder for beginners due to massive amts of init code. the funny thing though, is that opengl is supposed to be cross-platform, which is it''s primary strength, but d3d is supported by most/all hardware devices for win OSs.

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
I havent programed anything in direct x yet..

But personaly ,, i would use OPENGL, "im a graphics guy by profession so my opinion isnt from experience."
BUT I do keep an eye on the industry.
Direct X is soleyly a microsoft thing.
If you want your code to be more portable, id go with Opengl

When I get heavy into code, i plan on being able to port my code to 3 mainstream operating systesm.. Windows, Linux, and BEOS.

The only thing those three have in common is OPENGL.
Now that would be for graphics stuff, and im sure there are
better ways.

But Look at Quake 3, and other games that have been made for linux and windows. ?
Civilaztions is another good example. (has a beos port)
Anyhow,, Im against depending on propriatary Os''s but have to work with graphics programs on a windows box.. simply because one of the MAINstreams graphics programs (adobe photoshop) i cant run on beos or linux. I repeat,,Im no expert,, but it seems like opengl is the BOMB.
(Tux racer is out now, for linux and windows)

?What limits?
?What limits?
From what I used/heard

OpenGL is for 3d
DirectX is for everything else.

OpenGL is easier than DirectX to program (i''m fam with DirectX but not OpenGL). And DirectX3d can''t compete with OpenGL. One example where OpenGL rules is the stencil buffer (used for mirrors,reflections,etc). OpenGL has many more advanced features than DX, go figure that many many (above 10) companies contributed to create OpenGL, but only Microsoft did DirectX.

Ask any game programmer working for a big company today about OpenGL and they''ll say "OpenG-wha?" in a sarcastic voice. If you want to get a job in the industry, DirectX is the way to go right now. Everybody and their mother knows OpenGL (because it''s easy to learn), but being a DX pro will get you a job.

So if you want to do this simply as a hobby, then OpenGL is probably your best bet. But professionally; I''d recommend Direct3D IM.

Vyvyan
quote:Original post by gi-centerprintf

From what I used/heard

OpenGL is for 3d
DirectX is for everything else.

OpenGL is easier than DirectX to program (i''m fam with DirectX but not OpenGL). And DirectX3d can''t compete with OpenGL. One example where OpenGL rules is the stencil buffer (used for mirrors,reflections,etc). OpenGL has many more advanced features than DX, go figure that many many (above 10) companies contributed to create OpenGL, but only Microsoft did DirectX.

Sorry for saying this, but that was the most stupid thing I''ve heard today.
Direct3D and OpenGL are equal when it comes to the whole. Consider both options! OpenGL is not at all that better than Direct3D. It''s a little easier to use, but speed and so on has little difference.

But let us not start a new OpenGL vs. Direct3D war, cause we have seen to many of them already!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement