University Route.. in the UK (Please Read, Urgent!)

Started by
19 comments, last by Onemind 19 years, 7 months ago
thanks for the boost of confidence Jingo.. spare time game development being equally as helpful is also what I had in mind.
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams"
Advertisement
i have to go with Jingo on this one... if programming is your forte and its what u want to improve (even excell) upon then option 1 is the better - more career options to choose from later on in life...
:) thanks evelyn.
I did option 1 - a comp sci BSc followed by a games tech MSc & I'm a games coder (or have been for 3mths anyway).

Doing this option also gives you the qualifications to persue a different career path if you change your mind or fail to get into the industry or need to take a proper job whilst trying to get in.

Other things - code outside, if there's one thing that'll make you stand out it's games experience - work on mods, indie games, anything to gain you experience. I'd also suggest you look into doing something like Dare to be Digital (I did in 2002)www.daretobedigital.com it's being opened up to students from all over the UK next year.
much appreciated The Bag, i'll definitely be on the lookout for that next year.
I did Computer Science too. Yeah, have to recommend it, it gives you a broad base of knowledge to build on... most of what you learn doing comp sci can be applied to gamedev in some way.
---PS3dev
Hullo The Bag!... where are you from? - we did the Dare to be Digital in 2002 also!.. who r u with just now?
Well, I was thinking about a job in the games industry but wasn't 100% set, so instead of choosing the games course I would be studying at Lincoln university last year, I took a gap year to improve my skills.

Spent the year as a team leader on the development team of e-commerce at Computer Exchange (www.cex.co.uk) and learning as much as I could in my free time.

I am now studying a 4 year (sandwich) BSc in Computer Science & Engineering at surrey university. It includes a LOT more maths and physics than regular computing/comp sci courses, which I figured would be helpful, should I choose to do something games related after I finish my degree.

Surrey has the highest post-graduation employment rate, which I suppose is useful, but at the moment, all my free time is spent learning and trying to build a portfolio, and I'll just have to see where it takes me.

My honest advice would be to do a Comp Sci degree or something similar. Then, as I and most people do, build a portfolio of your projects over the years and by the time you leave Uni you'll have both a degree, useful for a majority of fields in the industry, AND you'll have experience (if you take the sandwich yar) and probably some experience/projects to show your abilities.

Whichever you decide, good luck with it and drop me an IM if you want any more advice
Quote:Original post by evelyn
Hullo The Bag!... where are you from? - we did the Dare to be Digital in 2002 also!.. who r u with just now?

Cool, which team were you? I was team leader of the Midget Wars team. I'm working at Lionhead now.
Caveman Arts and Electric Soldiers (2 teams) developing the 'Combat League' idea.... we are now doing mobile games at the moment as we would need a coupla million to do Combat League...still away on the far side... may be able to do it one day.. Look out for our first mobile game launch in Nov.. Kuju Wireless is gonna release it. What's it like at Lionhead then?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement