SDL:Blitting surface-surface-screen

Started by
12 comments, last by FirstStrike 19 years, 6 months ago
Hi folks! I am new to SDL and ran into the same problem as: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=87323 I want to copy a surface to another surface and then draw it on the screen, but all I get is a black window. What I am doing looks like this:

//screen and everything is initialized
SDL_Rect rect = {0, 0, 200, 200};
SDL_Surface* tmpSurface = SDL_CreateRGBSurface(SDL_SWSURFACE, 640, 480, 8,
                                   rmask, gmask, bmask, amask);

SDL_Surface* s = font.renderBlended(t2, rect);          

//label.output(screen, rect2);    
   SDL_DisplayFormatAlpha(s); 
   SDL_BlitSurface(s, NULL, tmpSurface, &rect);
   //SDL_UpdateRect(tmpSurface, 0, 0, 200, 200); 
   //SDL_DisplayFormatAlpha(tmpSurface); 
   SDL_BlitSurface(tmpSurface, NULL, screen, &rect);
   //SDL_BlitSurface(s, NULL, screen, &rect);   
   SDL_UpdateRect(screen, 0, 0, 200, 200);  

Would I blit s directly to the screen, everything works fine. Can anybody help on this one? Thx
Advertisement
is your screen surface doublebuffered?
try calling SDL_Flip(screen);
No, calling SDL_Flip doesn't save the day.
My screen is initializied with the following settings:

SDL_Surface *screen;   int WINWIDTH = 640, WINHEIGHT = 480, BPP = 8;   screen = SDL_SetVideoMode( WINWIDTH,WINHEIGHT, BPP, SDL_SWSURFACE );   if( screen == NULL ) {        fprintf(stderr, "Couldn't set %ix%ix%i video mode: %s\n", WINWIDTH,WINHEIGHT,BPP, SDL_GetError());        exit(1);   }
Hm, does it work if you blit your surface directly to the screen, without the intermediate surface?

Need to make sure your surface actually has something in it before we go on a wild goose chase :)

Ryan
--Visit the Game Programming Wiki!
Yes, if I blit s directly to the screen (One of the outcommented lines), it works and I see a red textline on the screen, but with the intermediate surface it doesn't.

Has anyone else ever done this and has code which works?
Well, I have tried something new to make it more comprehensible
for everyone and changed it. Now I load an image, blitt it to another surface and then to the screen. Same result: It doesn't show up.

int main( int argc, char* argv[] ) {  if( SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO)==(-1) ) {       printf("Could not initialize SDL: %s.\n", SDL_GetError());      exit(-1);   }     SDL_Surface *screen;   int WINWIDTH = 640, WINHEIGHT = 480, BPP = 8;   screen = SDL_SetVideoMode( WINWIDTH,WINHEIGHT, BPP, SDL_SWSURFACE );   if( screen == NULL ) {        fprintf(stderr, "Couldn't set %ix%ix%i video mode: %s\n", WINWIDTH,WINHEIGHT,BPP, SDL_GetError());        exit(1);   }   atexit(SDL_Quit);      SDL_Rect rect = {0, 0, 200, 200};          Uint32 rmask, gmask, bmask, amask;   /* SDL interprets each pixel as a 32-bit number, so our masks must depend       on the endianness (byte order) of the machine */#if SDL_BYTEORDER == SDL_BIG_ENDIAN    rmask = 0xff000000;    gmask = 0x00ff0000;    bmask = 0x0000ff00;    amask = 0x000000ff;#else    rmask = 0x000000ff;    gmask = 0x0000ff00;    bmask = 0x00ff0000;    amask = 0xff000000;#endif   SDL_Surface* tmpSurface = SDL_CreateRGBSurface(SDL_SWSURFACE, 600, 400, 8,                                   rmask, gmask, bmask, amask);      SDL_Surface* s = SDL_LoadBMP("test.bmp");      SDL_BlitSurface(s, NULL, tmpSurface, &rect);      SDL_BlitSurface(tmpSurface, NULL, screen, &rect);   SDL_UpdateRect(screen, 0, 0, 200, 200);        tviewtext tv;   exit(0);}
ok. one question, where is your main loop? I couldn't find it.
HxRender | Cornerstone SDL TutorialsCurrently picking on: Hedos, Programmer One
Here is a small bit of code. Might help you a little.

#include <iostream>#include <stdlib.h>#include <time.h>#include <math.h>#include "SDL.h"using namespace std;int SetUp();int GameLoop();int CleanUp();int Timer;// Prototypes///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////SDL_Surface *screen, *background;SDL_Rect src, dest;Uint32 colorkey;SDL_Event event;enum // different states of game loop{GS_TITLE,};int gamestate = GS_TITLE; // Start the game loop in the GS_MAIN switchint main( int argc, char* argv[] ){if (SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO | SDL_INIT_AUDIO ) != 0){printf("Unable to initialize SDL: %s\n", SDL_GetError());return 1;}atexit ( SDL_Quit );//create a windowscreen = SDL_SetVideoMode ( 256 , 256 , 16, SDL_HWSURFACE | SDL_DOUBLEBUF );if (screen == NULL){printf("Unable to set video mode: %s\n", SDL_GetError());return 1;}SDL_WM_SetCaption("boo", NULL); // This sets the window titleSetUp();//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// Set the program in an event loop.//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////for(;;){if( SDL_PollEvent(&event) != 0){switch (event.type){case SDL_MOUSEBUTTONDOWN:{if(event.button.button == 1){// left mouse button code}else if (event.button.button == 3){SDL_SaveBMP(screen, "screenshot.bmp"); // right button saves screen shot}}break;case SDL_KEYDOWN:{if(event.key.keysym.sym==SDLK_ESCAPE){return 0;}}break;case SDL_QUIT:{printf("Quit event. Bye. \n");exit(0);}break;}// end switch}elseGameLoop();} // end message loopCleanUp();return 0;}////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// SET UP :: This is where all the game graphics/sounds and fonts will be loaded////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////int SetUp(){background = SDL_LoadBMP("tmp.bmp"); // Loads the main play screenif (background == NULL){printf("Unable to load play screen\n");return 1;}SDL_ShowCursor(SDL_DISABLE); // makes the cursor invisiblesrand(time(NULL));return 0;}///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// GAMELOOP :: Main game loop. This is where all the cool stuff happens///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////int GameLoop(){	Timer = SDL_GetTicks();	switch(gamestate)	{	case GS_TITLE:	{		// title code goes here		src.x = 0;		src.y = 0;		src.w = background->w;		src.h = background->h;		dest.x = 0;		dest.y = 0;		dest.w = background->w;		dest.h = background->h;		SDL_BlitSurface(background, &src, screen, &dest);	}break;	default:	{	// you should never end up here	}break;}//test = SDL_GetTicks() - Timer;if(SDL_Flip(screen) == 0){}while((SDL_GetTicks() - Timer) <= 33){}	return 0;}///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// CLEAN UP :: Clears up the memory allocations at shutdown.///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////int CleanUp(){	SDL_FreeSurface(screen);	SDL_FreeSurface(background);	SDL_ShowCursor(SDL_ENABLE);	return 0;}
Steven Bradley .:Personal Journal:. .:WEBPLATES:. .:CGP Beginners Group:. "Time is our most precious resource yet it is the resource we most often waste." ~ Dr. R.M. Powell
@PnP Bios
I have no event loop. I just placed a breakpoint in the last line.

@Grellin
You are doing what works fine for me as well:
You load a bmp and store it. Then you copy it to the screen.

What doesn't work is to copy it to an intermediate surface and then blit it to the screen.
Just a guess, but don't you have to set up a palette for an 8BPP surface? Maybe the palette for surface tmpSurface is empty...
the rug - funpowered.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement