Math

Started by
7 comments, last by Android_s 19 years, 6 months ago
I am learning C++ and it is coming along fairly well. Today just for fun I was looking over some OpenGL code and I couldnt help but notice what I think are trig functions. They dealt with camera movement I believe. I really didnt understand the math functions at all because I have never studied anything like that. Is this something that you absolutely must learn before you will ever be able to create anything or can you use those functions without totally understanding how they work? Any help would be appreciated. :)
Advertisement
Well a lot of math is dealt with when doing 3d. Rotating the camera, zooming in and out, ect. But you don't need to know it when your first starting out. Trust me it'll be worthwile to learn :)
-Goten
Quote:Original post by GotenRulezU
Well a lot of math is dealt with when doing 3d. Rotating the camera, zooming in and out, ect. But you don't need to know it when your first starting out. Trust me it'll be worthwile to learn :)

What the bloody hell are you talking about? You don't even know how to use a debugger.

Yes, eventually you'll need to know (at the very least) basic trig and linear algebra, but it's all really easy to learn, so it's no big deal.

Plus, when starting out with OpenGL or Direct3D, you won't need to know a whole lot of 3D maths (if you can call it that) to begin with, and any lamen tutorial should be able to basicaly explain to you how the X, Y and Z axis work, and how that coincides with basic camera and object movement.

Don't worry about it now, just learn how to program first.
_________________Politics is the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next month and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to explain why it didn't happen. -- Winston ChurchillGDNet-0.2 - rate users the easy way with this nifty Firefox extension. Updated with new features.
Wow Drevay...you sure are an angry person.

Anyway, he's right, though angry, on this one. I'm feeling a little bit of desperation in learning all these maths, but MathWorld is helping a lot.

Check it out and read over some of the things there if you like. Or don't.

Apathy++.
Things change.
Computer graphics is very math intensive, and animation in particular does require a decent understanding of trigonometry. But just as Drevay said, don't worry about it now.

If you've ever taken trig and thought to yourself, "When am I EVER going to use this???", this is when you'll use it.

--
Sean Monahan
Sin City Games
If you want to code 3D applications, linear algebra will at some point be necesasry to learn. This scared me too at first...
However, you won't have to learn every single definition of it. What you need to learn is how a formula look like, work and how it can help you. When you have learned it, if you're not 110% certain of your skills, you throw your code away and use someone elses math functions [smile]

I'm currently reading a book called "Mathematics for 3D Game Programming and Computer Games" and that's a book I would suggest for you. It can be used to learn the math from scratch and later on as a reference, and it covers a lot of ground. Check it out.

Finally, don't be scared of the math! It may look complicated and so, but once you dig yourself into the "world-of-crazy-math" you'll understand the most of it [smile]

Oh´!..and
Quote:
If you've ever taken trig and thought to yourself, "When am I EVER going to use this???", this is when you'll use it.

I couldn't agree more on this. [grin]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"Ask not what humanity can do for you, ask what you can do for humanity." - By: Richard D. Colbert Jr.
Quote:Original post by smonahan

someone should have warned me earlier... when i learned that stuff i thought the same... now i use it and i really hate me for not paying more attention to it when our professor taught it to us :(
what do we learn out of this? no knowledge is useless... pay attention to everything and dont ever dare to think you wouldnt need it one day :/
Now get down on your hands and knees and start repeating "Open Source Good, M$ Evil", smacking your head against the pavement after each repetition. Once you have completed your training you may change your first name to GNU/, to show that you are free from the slavery of the closed source world. -Michalson
Thanks for the tips, guys. I think I will try and get my feet a little wet by using the site mentioned and/or that book if I can find it locally.

I just remembered this article. It was the first thing I read about linear algebra and I found it really helpfull. There's stuff in there that will help you oh-so-much and you will see it come again and again and again... [smile]
It is also resonably well explained and not that much to grasp, so it's a perfect start for someone new to 3D math [smile]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"Ask not what humanity can do for you, ask what you can do for humanity." - By: Richard D. Colbert Jr.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement