VC6 is buggy as hell!

Started by
25 comments, last by Shannon Barber 23 years ago
I even have sp4 installed! Every now and then, I'll change code and wap F7 to compile, and it'll just link, it won't recomile the .cpp file I just changed! (one that's in my project...) If I try to step throught my code it skips lines and is all fubar! It really really sucks while I'm trying to debug! I have to rebuild the whole damn project to get my code to take effect - Does anyone else ever have this problem? Edited by - Magmai Kai Holmlor on 10/14/00 12:17:50 PM
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Advertisement
I get the occasional situation where I click build and VC++ 6.0 starts the build, it just doesn''t do anything, and when I click on the cancel build button, nothing happens.

I just use PView95 to close vcspwan.exe and "tool execution was cancled by user" appears in the output window.

I just click build again and go on my way as it always works second time.

Plus points though - VC++ 6.0 is a hell of a lot less buggier than VC++ 97 (5.0).

Waassaap!!
Waassaap!!
I have no problems at all. VC++ 6 is one of the most bugfree development tools out there - they are usually much worse.

It is probably either your installation of VC 6 (or Windows) or your project files that are messed up.

Make a new project and put your files into that and it will prabably work again.

Jacob Marner
Jacob Marner, M.Sc.Console Programmer, Deadline Games
I just found my first REAL problem in VC++ 6.0:

I''m getting out from a function with a return, and the program I made just crashes after the return. No fancy stuff returning. Just an int. And yes, i''ve checked that the problem really is in that return. The code is OK. 2 people + me have checked it.

It''s pretty annoying ''cuz i really can''t make out what''s wrong with the function. I may have to do the whole thing i''m doing differently because of this little problem. Not funny, as i''m in the army now and i can work with the problem only on weekends.

-- BerLan

Oh yeah, i also have forgotten my password. darn. damn army. Hate every second of it.
My codes perfect, its the comiler that''s buggy, you must not use it that much felonius

anyway, if you wap -F7 it forces that .cpp to be re-compiled, so that helps...

VC6 from the MSDN CDs, SP4 from thier website, Win2000 from the MSDN CDs

It seems to confuse it the most, when I edit the code while debugging, that edit&continue feature sounds nice.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
First I want to say that I think that VC++ is the best IDE on the planet. But its really buggy as hell. I know the problem where VC++ refuses to recompile or simply stops and does nothing. Or sometimes I can''t acces the class view or it crashed with an internal compiler error. Lookt at this

CApp *pApp = 123;
pApp->MyFunc();

This code actually works in certain situations ;-) Loooooooool

Yea this sucks. But lookt at Code Warrior or Borland. Then you know what a really shitty compiler is...

Tim

--------------------------
glvelocity.gamedev.net
www.gamedev.net/hosted/glvelocity
Tim--------------------------glvelocity.gamedev.netwww.gamedev.net/hosted/glvelocity
I agree with you about Code Warrior, but I have a different opinion on Borland .

Null and Void
"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" --Homer Simpson
Just thought I''d chime in on the discussion. I''ve found VC6 to be one of the most incredibly powerful and well-made programs ever. It''s crashed a couple of times, true. But then so have most of my other programs as well.

www.gameprojects.com - Share Your Games and Other Projects
I really don''t think I''m asking to much, when I ask the compiler to compile
i find if you''re having problems do a cold reboot
still problems delete everything in the directories and rebuild again , clean + compile is not enuf.

this is one thing i had a while ago

int a; according to the watch variables a=10;
int b; according to the watch variables b=2;

if (b>a)
breakpoint set

it tryed to tell me 2 was more than 10

does anyone remember visualc 1 (whew that was buggy back in the days when borland3 ruled the roost)

though usually i have very few problems with vc considering all the shit code i feed it

http://members.xoom.com/myBollux

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement