Original Post
Hey folks, here's an annoying little problem that has cropped up during my research. I've come up with inumerable approximate solutions to the problem... but I'd like to see if someone can come up with something better. I've scoured the web for solutions but to no avail... if someone knows of literature on this problem, please let me know. The problem: Compute the volume of intersection of a sphere and a cube. The radius of the sphere is much greater than the side length of the cube and the cube is partly embedded into the surface of the sphere, where the embedding is in a random orientation. What proprotion of the cube's volume lies inside the sphere? I'm looking for a general solution, so it must be able to take into account all possible intersections with the cube edges. The leading approximation results at the moment arise from: 1) A Reimann sum based on a 3D version of the trapezoid rule; 2) An approximation of the spheres surface inside the cube by a plane or a set of planes (and computation of the regular volumes created); and, 3) Triangular tesselation of the spheres surface inside the cube and computation of pyramidal volumes. Can anyone see a better approximation method or perhaps can you derive a general analytic solution. The major restriction placed on a numerical approximation method is that it must be computationally fast. Cheers, Timkin