Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Is C# a better choice for a tools programmer than C++?

Started by wilsocn Oct 20, 2004 at 10:28 PM 2 replies 900+ views
Original Post
wilsocn
wilsocn
I know the C# questions about probably about as old as the ol' GL vs DX by now, but the search function doesnt seem to be working at the moment. I am just starting out in programming. I am actually about 150 pages in a C++ book. My main goal is to program tools for use in game creation. I keep reading about the benefits of C# developement, but also that it isnt as powerful as C++ in some instances. Would C# be a good choice for someone with my goals? Just looking for some ideas on the matter. ;)
aaroncox1234
aaroncox1234
The following is from a tools programmer opening at Rockstar Vancouver:

Requirements:

* At least 3 years of game programming experience.
* At least 1 game project completed.
* Excellent software engineering skills.
* Understanding of the video game creation process and problems.
* Ability to create and work within a schedule.
* Ability to work well as part of a creative team.
* Self-motivated with a strong work ethic.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills.
* Bachelor's degree in Physics, Mathematics, Software Engineering or
Computer Science, or equivalent work experience.

Desirable skills:

# Experience with the following languages: C++, Python, Lua.
# Understanding of UML.
# Experience with .net platform, Renderware, XML, Boost, CGI programming.


I saw a posting at relic (dawn of war) that wanted to see knowledge of some application related api. the one named was MFC but they just used that as an example. I have a feeling that it'll vary from company to company. It might be a good idea to learn C# because you will probably be able to make tools faster with it, but I'd learn python/lua and C++ too. Take your time though, if you learn C++ thru and thru, you'll be able to learn C# at lightning speed.
-------------------------------See my tutorial site: Click here
Armadon
Armadon
Good day,
I really think that it's irrelevant wether you use c# or c++.

It's like saying you will be a better fisherman with a good fishing pole.
It's how you use the tools rather than what tools you use.
You will realize sooner or later that you tend to prefer one language over another, but a programming language should never be rated better than the other.

I hope this doesn't seem to harsh or offensive to some.

Kind Regards
Peter
the Speed Bump
the Speed Bump
I think so.

C# is much more convenient to develop in, but it has a hefty runtime and it isn't quite as portable as C++ can be.

If the program is only going to be used in-house, then neither of those problems matter. :)
"There is only one everything"

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.