Custom ascii/chars?

Started by
6 comments, last by GamerCon 19 years, 6 months ago
what would have to be done to accomplish this? are there any good freeware/open source font editors? Im guessing thats just about all thats needed and a good way to set console font?
OS: WinXP HECOMPILER: DevC++ mingw32Programming since 10/3/2004 6:15:36 PMCurrent Project: An un-named MUDCompleted Projects:Tic-Tac-Toe (w32 console)PacMan (w32 console)Tetris (w32 console)Minesweeper (Allegro)BomberMan (Allegro)Chat Client (w32 console)
Advertisement
What exactly do you mean? Your own font?
I assume you are talking about old school textmode bios fonts. In that case, the characters are stored in graphics memory as easy-to-modify bitmaps, and you can simply overwrite them if you know the address. I think it was something like 0:B800. Might depend on your screen mode.
hmm, Im not too clear on how I overite them. i thought they were accesed from a font file?

Any ways, All I can realy do, well, is console programming in C++ and the ascii chars available have become boring to me. Thought I might spice it up.
OS: WinXP HECOMPILER: DevC++ mingw32Programming since 10/3/2004 6:15:36 PMCurrent Project: An un-named MUDCompleted Projects:Tic-Tac-Toe (w32 console)PacMan (w32 console)Tetris (w32 console)Minesweeper (Allegro)BomberMan (Allegro)Chat Client (w32 console)
Ah you edited your post.
using "CHAR_INFO[].Char.AsciiChar"...

...how would someone go about add/editing the available chars?

I wasnt too clear before(my appalogies).
On Windows I believe that to change the font that the console uses you must make a change to the registry, specifically HKCU/Console/FaceName.

When your program ends you must remember to change the key back or else the user will be stuck with whatever font you wanted to use in the console.
theres no function hidden in a header file that changes console font? :/

im too scared to mess with registry editing..I thought people as noob as I shouldnt even open regedit.

I wouldnt know where to start anyways...will you explain the process to me?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement