is UML a joke?

Started by
40 comments, last by Nick Manley 19 years, 4 months ago
hi there. first, UML is not a joke, it's widely used in OO program design. second, which i see most of you didn't get it, it is not a program. UML does not generate code. UML is a convention, a standard. many design softwares are implementing this standard because it is internationally adopted. some examples are : rational rose, active modeller and so on. this softwares are having some code generation stuff, but that's all. i've studied UML in 2 courses at the university and it's a very good practice to use it when you design big software products. it can save a lot of your time, because when you put your ideas on paper(it can be used with pen and paper too) you can see and eliminate a lot of problems early in the design stage, so you don't have to deal with them when you acctually implement the program. that means a lot of design time and short coding periods, which is great.
Advertisement
I just noticed this:
Quote:Originally from the GameDev.Net Discussion Forums
Software Engineering
Discussion and feedback of all aspects of software engineering - requirements, design, UML modeling, project management, processes, etc
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Actually, good point - This has little to do with Web Development (moving to Soft Eng). Please try and stay on topic and stop the flaming people.
I was wondering how on Earth a 22 post thread + flames appeared without me noticing it!

I can tell you what UML is in one sentence.

UML, Unified Modeling Language, is an OMG standard specification of diagrams that are useful for communicating software designs.

UML diagrams for software engineers serve the same purpose as electrical component symbols do for EE's. Everyone in the industry knows that the squiggle is a resistor, two lines are a capacitor, etc...

There are numerous tools available for creating UML diagrams that incorporate additional useful features, the most basic is skeletal code generation. Rational Rose is the canocial example of a CASE tool (Computer-Aided-Software-Engineering) a primary function of which is to create UML diagrams.

Check the forum FAQ for some links to more information about UML.

PS Enterprise Architecture is a favored UML tool around here.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Quote:Original post by Magmai Kai Holmlor
PS Enterprise Architecture is a favored UML tool around here.
And with good reason. I'll be purchasing that with my next equipment generation (new workstation, etc). In the interim, I use Visual Paradigm for UML Community Edition.

@nosajghoul:
I'm sorry, but this thread doesn't reflect positively on your initiative, or you in general.
Ah cool, some nice UML resources there! I'm using ArgoUML myself, but only when trying to work out large program structures or communicating a design idea to a friend. I'll have to check out some of the other programs mentioned.
While on the topic of UML tools I would really recommend Poseidon for modelling UML for Java programs. The full version is not free but you can get a limited functionality version for free which does not really miss all that many vital features.
garazdawi - 'I put the laughter back in slaughter'
Quote:Original post by fractoid
The name strikes me as silly, too. UML is a modelling language the way that Photoshop is a graphics API.

Actually IMHO it could be regarded as a language, although it is indeed often used to illustrate the design of a program or project. There are very strict definitions for UML diagrams (unfortunately there are quite a few). An UML diagram can be compiled not into machine code, but into other high level languages like java or c++.
Quote:Original post by fractoid
The name strikes me as silly, too. UML is a modelling language the way that Photoshop is a graphics API.
It's a symbolic language. The name is perfectly appropriate. Did you know that OpenGL was a language, too?

Quote:Original post by stygianguest
An UML diagram can be compiled not into machine code, but into other high level languages like java or c++.
A UML diagram could be compiled into machine code. A few new diagram types would need to be created to deal with certain special situations, though.
UML is good unless you are using a product like Rational Rose in a company with 50+ software engineers and only ~20 licenses. Then it becomes a bitter battle of trying to get those who have the licenses to release them so others can use it. In the end I gave up on trying to kill another engineer to get one and used my superb MS Word Art skills to draw diagrams. [grin] However based on the tutorials I followed on the web, Class Diagrams seem to be poorly defined. How does one decide when to use a line to connect to classes and when to use a line with a diamond. I think it was just to abstract for my tastes.
"Pfft, Facts! Facts can be used to prove anything!" -- Homer J. Simpson

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement