Size of DXSDK docs?

Started by
9 comments, last by Alex Swinney 19 years, 5 months ago
Does anyone actually know how many printed pages the SDK is? Also, is there an easy way of printing them off? I've tried to print off a high-level topic and everything gets screwed up. I realize that I'm talking about hundreds of pages, that's not a problem. Late night visits to a campus computer lab can solve this;) Thanks
I WISH SOMEONE WOULD FIX THE DAMNED LOGIN!
Advertisement
I've heard that it's into the thousands, from both the DX team and from someone who routinely prints out the entire docset. IMO, it's kind of a waste, because new docsets come out every 2 months.

Also, I'm not even sure you can print the managed docs (correctly), since it has all of that dynamic stuff in it.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
Quote:Original post by circlesoft
I've heard that it's into the thousands, from both the DX team and from someone who routinely prints out the entire docset. IMO, it's kind of a waste, because new docsets come out every 2 months.

Also, I'm not even sure you can print the managed docs (correctly), since it has all of that dynamic stuff in it.

I do agree that they do change regularly, but I was wanting a hard copy to study and read on my down time.

How large is D3D documentation? Guess I'll find out tonight;) That's why I pay $3200 a semester, eh?
The bulk of the docs are D3D (DirectSound is 2nd largest). It's fine to print one copy out, because the documentation isn't going to be changing that much (that is, until DX10 is released). However, in the future you may want to:

[smile]
haha, has any one ever caught themselves going to "pick up" the documents? Bit difficult really lol.
Quote:Original post by Stevieboy
haha, has any one ever caught themselves going to "pick up" the documents? Bit difficult really lol.

Well, gotta read something other than my horrendous Simulation book..;)

(found here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0471352934/ref=pd_sl_aw_alx-jeb-9-1_book_6223495_2/102-6469022-9636139)
Quote:Original post by Alex Swinney
Does anyone actually know how many printed pages the SDK is?

IIRC, for the DX9 Summer Update docs:
Direct3D Reference was ~700 pages
D3DX Reference was like ~1000 pages

I've not tried the guides, or other parts of the DX API.

Quote:Original post by Coder

Wow.....Maybe print out selected portions then, eh?

Wow.....Maybe print out selected portions then, eh?

What?! You're not a millionaire?
I'm disappointed [grin].

Seriously, I'd definitely print selectively. Or better, get yourself familiar with reading directly from the monitor - much much cheaper [smile]

get yourself familiar with reading

What, Coder!? You mean you don't have the entire docset memorized YET? What's your deal, man...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement