JOGL vs LWJGL vs ????

Started by
10 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 5 months ago
so i want to write some platform independent ogl apps. however, i don't want to use glut, sdl, or the similar. i've got experience in java, and i heard about the ogl binding for java. i know that java is slower than c++ by nature... but the bottle neck for most 3d apps is at the gpu, right? since ogl is still being used for hardware accel... how bad will the speed difference be? has anyone done any benchmarks? personal experience? [Edited by - domstyledesign on November 11, 2004 12:03:25 AM]
Advertisement
May I suggest you try LWJGL instead of Jogl.
interesting... i read the intro and about pages... but why do you personally recommend lwjgl?

although LWJGL provides for more interaction with the user, JOGL is more official, so i'm leaning that way.

are there any other libraries i should consider? any arguments for/against JOGL or LWJGL?
Always changing, i remember GL4Java, but they stopped devloping it, then JOGL was the mainstream, and now theres being a short transition to LWJGL for a lot of Java users.
well i don't want to get into something that's going to be outdated soon. how concrete are jogl and LWJGL?
jogl is THE api, its the "official" openGL binding
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
awesome... although, i figured that out... since it's hosted on sun's website.... but that doesn't make it better.
Methinks you'll find LWJGL much more reliable and a much cleaner API to work with. After using both I'm sick and tired of Jogl's flaky reliability.

Incidentally, LWJGL has been around for about a year longer than Jogl, which is one of the reason why its more mature.
finally, a response which is a little more concrete! think i will go with lwjgl. thanks OrangyTang
In any case, as I understand it they're both pretty close to native bindings, so you should be able to switch from one to the other. As I understand it though, Sun intends to build jOGL into the VM or related to it, so then you'd have an extra incentive: jOGL software would be "clean" (pure cross-platform) java.
-- Single player is masturbation.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement