generating random characters not numbers with rand()

Started by
4 comments, last by Nice Coder 19 years, 5 months ago
can anyone tell me how can i generate random character with the rand() function. I know how to generate random number but not characters. Thanks for your help
Advertisement
If you just want random characters between 'a' and 'z', do:

char rnd_char(){   return (char)( ( rand() % 26 ) + 'a' );}

or better yet ... between a range of characters:

char rnd_char( char low, char high ){	return (char)( ( low <= high ) ? rand() % ( high - low + 1 ) + low : rand() % ( low - high + 1 ) + high );}

Something like this c++ code should help you

#include <stdlib.h>#include <stdio.h>int main( int argc, char *argv[] ){    static const char cList[] =            "0123456789"            "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ"            "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz";    // Generate strings of 10 chars    char cBuf[11];    for (int i = 0; i < 10; i++)        cBuf = cList[rand() % (sizeof(cList)-1)];    // insert term char    cBuf = '\0';}

hope this is what you're after :)

edit: damn too slow :)
Simply create a random number in the range [0,255] and store it in a char.

If you only want a subset of the characters [say, letters and numbers but not punctuation], use a smaller range [in this case 62, ten for numbers and twenty-six each for upper and lower case letters] and write a simple mapping.

int number = rand() % 62; //Not the best way to limit the range, I knowchar character;if(number < 10) { //this corresponds to digits    character = (char)number + '0';} else if(number < 36) { //capital letters    character = (char)number + 'A';} else { //lower case letters    character = (char)number + 'a';}

*edit: Actually, I like technomancer's solution better. Its more general, and easier to add in individual characters. That's going in my bag of tricks :)

CM
Quote:Original post by technomancer
Something like this c++ code should help you

*** Source Snippet Removed ***
hope this is what you're after :)

edit: damn too slow :)

STL'd!!!11

#include <string>using std::string;string randString(int length) {  static const string cList =    "0123456789"    "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ"    "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz";  string result(length, '\0');  for (int i = 0; i < 10; i++) {    result = cList[rand() % cList.length()];  }  return result;}

[grin]

char random[255]for (int x = 0;x < 254;x++)    random[x] = rand() % 255;random[255] = '\0';

[grin]

From,
Nice coder
Click here to patch the mozilla IDN exploit, or click Here then type in Network.enableidn and set its value to false. Restart the browser for the patches to work.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement