Navigating on Spheres (Loxodrom/Orthodrom)

Started by
0 comments, last by Fruny 19 years, 5 months ago
Greetings to all! For my actual project, which takes place on a "real" Planet, i stumbled in horrorble Navigation Problems. To avoid mindexplosion (i'm on it since 2 or 3 weeks) i hope i get a good push from you: As you see below the cam is looking north, driving forward will do what you expect... it drives to the Pole or away if backwards.. screenie1 but when i turn to look east and drive that Dir the cam moves to north too. This effect grows stronger when i move closer to NorthPole, at äquatorial line effect is almost gone: screenie2 i hope u understand what i mean (sorry for bad english) thx for any post in advance... FreakDesign edit: i forgot the position function, here it comes: (VB.net)

'POP = Position on Planet
'angH,angV = Horizontal/Vertical Longitude
'LocalDirection = ViewDirection

me.PoP.newLocalPos( _
	me.PoP.angH + (LocalDirection.X * speed), _
	me.PoP.angV + (LocalDirection.Z * speed) _
	)

i'm sure that the formula in this function is the point. i read many strange things about Loxodrom/Orthodroms and basicly this mathic Names have to do with my prob but i dont get it in my brain... as i can see it i currently steer with a loxodrom.. but i'm no good math-magician Greets FreakDesign [Edited by - Freakdesign on November 17, 2004 12:36:41 PM]
Advertisement
How's your coordinate system set-up?

Quaternions are good.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement