Sampling Sounds

Started by
3 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 4 months ago
What type of metal, glass, or wood would give me the best sample sound? I need to know for my GD.
Advertisement
For what? Music? SFX? In what context? What is a GD?
GD is short for game development. And I am going to use the sounds on a fighting rpg that I will relese on the Xbox. And its for sound effects. I need someone that can get a good sample of these items
Bang stuff together and see how it sounds. Thinner stuff is more resonant so it will probably sound better. For example, for sword impact sounds, use a piece of metal that is much thinner than a real sword. It will sound like someone is swinging that sword real hard.
It was kind of obvious that you were talking about SFX and that GD stands for Game Development; I was being facetious to try and coax more information out of you. That plan failed. Sorry.

You need to describe the exact sound effects you require. For example, glass could be any of these things:

A glass impact (bullet going through glass but not shattering)
A small window shattering
A large window shattering
A bottle shattering
Someone being hit by a bottle
Walking on broken glass

You started by asking what kind of glass would give you the best sound, implying that you were going to record the sounds yourself. Then you stated that you need someone else to do the sound for you; it's all a bit confusing.

Why don't you start again, saying exactly what your project is and what it is that you want someone to help you with. You don't have to mention all the different materials, you just need to get the ball rolling by saying something like "I'm making a fighting game and I need someone to make the sounds of the melee weapons for when the player character beats up NPCs". Then you might start communicating with someone that wants to work with you. Easy! ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement