Python scripting for an RPG

Started by
11 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 4 months ago
I may look into PyGame but as I do already have a working engine I would rather use my existing stuff.

Yes I do know about the windows message pump, thats what I thought first that I may need to add a new function in the DLL to handle that and run it in a while loop within the main Python script.
Advertisement
I have decided to use a C++ exe which calls out to python for quests/dialogue/items but I need some help understanding how this should work. The amount of information on the internet seems very limited. Can some one explain how the main loop of the programme should work to incorporate python like this.
(i'm the previous anonymous poster)...

From my experience, I would rather stick this extending python with C++, and find how to deal with the pump.

As for the final exe, py2exe is your friend for this... Or you can compile Python as your own exe, that know which module to launch ( but it's REALLY trickier ).

Have a look at this too :
http://twistedmatrix.com/users/glyph/rant/extendit.html

If you want to give some more chance to extending, have a look at Panda3D ( a free professional Python-based Game engine ), and at PyGame to see how they deal with the pump.

If you want embedding, it's really easy, and Python docs are enougth.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement