[java] Opinions on Java IDEs?

Started by
59 comments, last by tebriel 19 years, 4 months ago
Quote:Original post by jollyjeffers
Quote:Despite the fact that I frequently curse it (Daily at work in fact)
There's something very familiar sounding about that [wink]. My current project is related to writing some new language editors as eclipse-3 plugins...

Eclipse, at least for Java, has a lot of very powerful features given that it's free/open-source. You've got decent debugging (comparable to VStudio imo), decent build management (Using ANT) and code-refactoring support built in.

Quote:edit the desktop icon to Eclipse and allocate the JVM some more memory if you want tolerable speeds
Got any more info on this? sounds interesting... my work machine has 1gb RAM - would happily allocate more to eclipse if it'll make it happier!

Cheers,
Jack

Sure. I assume you're using Windows.

Go to your desktop icon for Eclipse, right click and select "properties" then select the shortcut tab and where it says target write something like:

C:\Java\eclipse\eclipse.exe -vm C:\Java\j2sdk1.4.2\bin\javaw.exe -vmargs -Xmx512M

The first path is the path to the eclipse executable, which should already be there, the second is the explicit path to your JVM and the two arguments allocate 512 MB of RAM to the JVM when running Eclipse. I wouldnt go above that, merely because with lots of RAM - instead of dead object refs getting garbage collected- they will get swapped out on to disk and stored instead, which means garbage collection will take even longer when it does run, as it has to fetch a load of pages with dead object refs from disk.

Jon
Advertisement
Quote:Sure. I assume you're using Windows.
Yup, using XP-Pro. Cheers for the help..

I cloned your commmand line accordingly, seems to still work - guess I'll have to do some hardcore development before I can determine any improvements. It's friday afternoon now, not really too keen on doing much work today [wink].

512mb should be good enough - I've not paid that much attention to what it's used in the past, but I highly doubt it's that much.

Quote:a big community providing lots of useful plugins for it
Another interesting dimension to this is that IBM (amongst others) are using the platform as their defacto standard base platform for development and testing tools.

Minor point up front I suppose, but if you have big companies making sizeable investments in the tool (even if it is now open-source) you can be guaranteed that it'll probably accrue a fair bit of attention from the people that can make a big difference. Hell, IBM are pouring a fair bit of money into the project across their various labs...

Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

As people said
JCreator is the most lightweight, straightforward, and probably the fastest.

Eclipse is stable with lots of features.

Netbeans is feature rich but a bad performer; however, I haven't noticed the performance hit with the linux version.

I personally use eclipse the most because it most easily allows java and C++ in the same project, which makes using the JNI substantially easier.
I used Netbeans 4. It is looking even better with the JFluid profiler built in. Just make sure you have the recommened 384MB of physical memory.
"... we should have such an empire for liberty as she has never surveyed since the creation ..."Thomas Jefferson
Nothing is slow because its written in Java, its slow because its not written in C++. :P

IntelliJ IDEA www.intellij.com

absolutely brilliant
Strongly recommend Eclipse.

Other people have mentioned a lot of advantages, but I'd like to stress one that I think is particularly important: Eclipse is open source and has a very active development community, which is helped by some very serious backing for IBM. That means that it's only going to get better and better in the long run.....

I have used Eclipse to develop my game Tyrant, and it really helped improve my productivity.

Though it does make me want to buy a faster machine sometimes ;-)
Action packed Java roguelike game - http://tyrant.sourceforge.net
Quote:That means that it's only going to get better and better in the long run.....
Very much hope you're right [grin], but all these things come and go depending on whatever high-level managers/executives seem to think is cool to invest their budget in...

Quote:its slow because its not written in C++
Haha, but I suppose that you could use the same argument against every language until you get down to assembly or even micro-code [wink]..

Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

If you are on Windows you might want to try GEL!
I have use Textpad, JBuilder, JCreator, and ended with GEL, then all my stressed gone. ;-)
Haven't use Eclipse though, cos the gigantic file size. :-)
-------------Golden T Game Engine - Java Game EngineGolden T Website | Golden T Forum
Wow, thanks for all the replies! I didn't expect so many so quickly. It seems there's a lot of votes for Eclipse. I will definitely try out Eclipse first. From some of your descriptions, JCreator may be worth checking out, too, as well as some of the others mentioned. Heh.. CS professor must hate us all. He suggests we use BlueJ and Emacs... Bleh! ;) Thanks again!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement