Milkshape 3D ASCII format question (help?)

Started by
1 comment, last by Rixter 19 years, 4 months ago
I'm trying to make a model loader and I would like to use textures, I've already made a loader for ASE but I don't think that's what I want. I'm looking through the Milkshape3D documentation and stuff and it says this about the format: ... // number of vertices 20 // vertex: flags, x, y, z, u, v, bone index 0 -10.375000 10.500000 13.750000 0.000000 0.000000 -1 0 -10.375000 -10.250000 13.750000 0.000000 1.000000 -1 ... now what are the u and v? Is that the same as s and t for texture position? If not there's no way to specify how to apply the texture to the mesh and I'll have to use another format. Also, is there a way to specify more than one texture for a given mesh (so like each side of a box has a different picture for example)? I couldn't figure out how inside milkshape (haven't had much time to try yet) and I don't see how that would be possible given the file format unless it split it up into several meshes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've also looked at the NeHe tutorial for loading the binary, but I'd like to be able to use the ASCII (if at all possible), however if milkshape can't do multiple textures per object at all I may have to use something entirely different, is there another format that would be simple enough for what I need? Thanks. EDIT: Ok, I've found some other sources that say not "u and v", but "s and t", like I want. I was kinda confused as to why a vertex would have an up vector (or whatever) associated with it. I'm still unsure if the Milkshape files are what I'm looking for due to the fact that they may only support one texture per mesh, but I may be able to get around that. [Edited by - Rixter on December 4, 2004 5:40:34 PM]
Advertisement
i'd say s and t are the same as u and v (rather than the other way around since uv coords are more comon), but yes.

When using multiple textures you need to switch mesh anyway (unless you are using multi-texturing/layers of course) so I assume milkshape will indeed split a mesh and assign a new texture.. Thats why usually when you texture a cube's faces you divide your texture in the same 6 faces and set UV coords accordingly.

huraay!
Ok thanks, I thought s and t were more common cause I thought u and v were used for camera stuff. I wasn't aware you needed to switch meshes to change textures but I guess that makes sense.

Thanks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement