[.net] Intellisense

Started by
6 comments, last by fooman_69 19 years, 3 months ago
hello, Often when I am programming in .NET the intellisense will not work. What are reasons that this feature won't work when it looks like it should (no errors etc). Even when I open up tutorials the feature will not work sometimes with the code that is already there and works perfectly. I only ask because it makes things easier on me when it is working. I'm sure the error is on my part tho.
Advertisement
There's a few biggies where Intellisense doesn't work:

-- when you have too many syntax errors present in your source files (the parser can't figure out what's going on);
-- when you're trying to get information about a member that you can't access (for instance, if class C defines a private static member called x, you won't see "x" on the Intellisense list for C when you're outside the class);
-- immediately after starting if you have a relatively slower computer (it takes a few seconds for the cache to build up if it's large).

There was also a bug in VS.Net 2002 where if you had a __typeof() statement in any given file, Intellisense wouldn't work in that file. The bug disappeared in 2003 and there's a fix for it in 2002 IIRC.

HTH,
- k2"Choose a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life." — Confucius"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will get you everywhere." — Albert Einstein"Money is the most egalitarian force in society. It confers power on whoever holds it." — Roger Starr{General Programming Forum FAQ} | {Blog/Journal} | {[email=kkaitan at gmail dot com]e-mail me[/email]} | {excellent webhosting}
Ive had some problems where intellisense would not show up even when I knew it should. to fix it I closed VS and deleted the .ncb file in the project directory then reopened VS and the project. Im not sure what the ncb file does but forcing VS to recreate it has always fixed any intellisense problems ive had.

Hope that helps:)
Quote:Original post by BosskIn Soviet Russia, you STFU WITH THOSE LAME JOKES!
Have a look at Visual Assist X, its brilliant, plugin for .NET IDE that is way better than the Intellisense MS offer.

You can get a trial version here

I think it costs about $100 but its definitely worth it in my opinion.
New problem relating to intellisense... I swear it hates me.
I have this in the header
#include
using namespace std;

struct sLocation
{
int posX;
int posY;
};

class Ghost
{
public:
Ghost();
void SetPosition(int x, int y);
private:
vector nodes; //Vector to hold nodes
};

I have this in the implementation..
#include "Ghost.h"

//etc etc

void Ghost::SetPosition(int x, int y)
{
nodes[0].posX = x;
nodes[0].posY = y;
}//SetPosition(int,int)

So, my problem is where I try to access the members of my struct (posX, posY). I can not see them. I could just type them yes, but I just want to be able to work with my struct as I develope it more.. adding more members and such.
That blank preprocessor directive is probably screwing things up:

Quote:#include
using namespace std;

Fix that and see what happens.
- k2"Choose a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life." — Confucius"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will get you everywhere." — Albert Einstein"Money is the most egalitarian force in society. It confers power on whoever holds it." — Roger Starr{General Programming Forum FAQ} | {Blog/Journal} | {[email=kkaitan at gmail dot com]e-mail me[/email]} | {excellent webhosting}
How come class templates seems to mess it up as well? I noticed that if you hoover over something, all you get is 'int _T' instead of the right name.

Thanks khalligan for the link - it always seems that you have to addon to Microsoft's IDE's inorder to get the best funcitonality (in VC6, WndTabs, in VC7 VTune, etc..)

I will also try to use grekster's method as well b/c I experience the same problems as fooman_69.

Quote:
-- when you have too many syntax errors present in your source files (the parser can't figure out what's going on);

Reminds me of the "Error: Too many errors" in VS6 [lol].
that #include should have read:
#include <vector>

Don't know why it didn't. Sorry. =)
The problem still persists!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement