ai self-consciousness

Started by
58 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 4 months ago
Quote:Original post by Xior
Quote:Original post by pTymN
ai cant be self conscious because what do we do when we are not using processes to solve problems? That is outside the domain of computer AI, because its an intelligent problem solving tool, and being self conscious is not helpful in solving problems. (different than being self aware, in the sense that the crate stacking robot might need to know about its own dimensions for various pathfinding tasks)

we'd give it a LOT of definitions and from that it would be able to figure out everything and it would learn how to solve problems for itself.

So you're saying just give it a dictionary and our job is done? It doesn't work that way.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by SAE Superman
Quote:Original post by pTymN
ai cant be self conscious because what do we do when we are not using processes to solve problems? That is outside the domain of computer AI, because its an intelligent problem solving tool, and being self conscious is not helpful in solving problems. (different than being self aware, in the sense that the crate stacking robot might need to know about its own dimensions for various pathfinding tasks)

we'd give it a LOT of definitions and from that it would be able to figure out everything and it would learn how to solve problems for itself.

So you're saying just give it a dictionary and our job is done? It doesn't work that way.

give it a lot of dictionaries.
Quote:give it a lot of dictionaries.

You're an idiot. You haven't listened to anything anyone has said to you. You are a troll. You posted your thread from another forum here because you probably got banned from the other forum for being too stupid. If you really wanted to know this info you would look it up on the net and actually do some reading on it before posting such idiotic responses to people that are trying to help you out.

Get lost!
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Quote:give it a lot of dictionaries.

You're an idiot. You haven't listened to anything anyone has said to you. You are a troll. You posted your thread from another forum here because you probably got banned from the other forum for being too stupid. If you really wanted to know this info you would look it up on the net and actually do some reading on it before posting such idiotic responses to people that are trying to help you out.

Get lost!

you don't understand the point that i'm trying to get at. i'm saying that it will eventually form a consciousness out of enough data. its just a theory. i never said its 100%. you need to loosen up a bit.
ibtl
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Every reply here has given reasons why your "theory" will not work. Although, you have not given one intelligent reason why your's will work. Also, having a ton of data and being able to do something with that data are two totally separate things. By your "theory," every computer should be self conscious because they have pretty big hard drives full of data. What about backup computers that backup terabytes of data every day? The data alone won't do crap.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Every reply here has given reasons why your "theory" will not work. Although, you have not given one intelligent reason why your's will work. Also, having a ton of data and being able to do something with that data are two totally separate things. By your "theory," every computer should be self conscious because they have pretty big hard drives full of data. What about backup computers that backup terabytes of data every day? The data alone won't do crap.

right. data alone won't do anything. i'm suggesting to put in a simple way for it to formulate and understand all the data. i originally said just have the computer understand equivalents. then it could work through things which are similar and build up in such a way too complicated for us to comprehend, eventaully figuring out stuff we couldn't imagine that would lead to its consciousness.
i would suggest putting in every grammar book in existence, grammar would be the key to understanding the rest of the information we'd give it.
i would suggest putting in every grammar book in existence, grammar would be the key to understanding the rest of the information we'd give it.

It's time for you to just shut up.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement