Im going to audition for Survivor

Started by
33 comments, last by Nahoopii 19 years, 4 months ago
Quote:Original post by bytecoder
Quote:Original post by Perfunction
bah, reality tv needs to die...stop encouraging it.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Nahoopii
Hi, my name is David Nahoopii. Im half hawaiian, half mormon. My father is polynesian and lives in Hawaii, my mother straight out of Utah. I live in Seattle Washington, and Ive been waiting for my chance to audition for Survivor since I turned 21 in June. Ive mastered the social interaction skills that Survivor requires, as I use them in my daily life. I scammed myself a high school diploma with 3 less credits than my high school required, only to come into the "real world" and within 3 years of working I have established myself in the IT industry as an invaluable analyst making $54k a year. Exactly what the sole survivor has to have, the ability to appear invalueable when there is little or no credibility. When I was 18, I was a technical lead for a group of 60+ analysts, of which I can specifically recall one man with a BS degree in both Mathematics and Comp. Science.. And Im this mans "Technical Lead" at the age of 18 and no college education. Is that right? Admitedly, no.. but did I reap the benefits? Absolutely.

Im a clean cut, mature young man, with common decency coming out of my ass. Im only this forward when given a 90 second time constraint. In closing I will say this, despite the fact Im sure many say this, Im the worst thing for Survivor to-date. I would not lose this game, theres no way. I could outlast, outwit, and outplay anyone on the planet in the game of Survivor, no doubt in my mind.

(At this point, should I decide to actually do it, I would pull a worm out of my pocket, explain what it is, and then eat it... but Im not %100 sure on this part!)

Good speech! Of course, it's all in the delivery. And it doesn't count if you use a gummy worm. ;)
- k2"Choose a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life." — Confucius"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will get you everywhere." — Albert Einstein"Money is the most egalitarian force in society. It confers power on whoever holds it." — Roger Starr{General Programming Forum FAQ} | {Blog/Journal} | {[email=kkaitan at gmail dot com]e-mail me[/email]} | {excellent webhosting}
Thanks all for the feedback..
Damn... I would kick ass on that show. I mean, I get paid to live in the wilderness over the summers.
Quote:Original post by Mushu
Damn... I would kick ass on that show. I mean, I get paid to live in the wilderness over the summers.
?
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.

Have you ever watched? It has nothing to do with real survival whatsoever. In fact, if have wilderness skills you are very likely to be ejected quickly because you will be perceived of as a threat. :)
Co-creator of Star Bandits -- a graphical Science Fiction multiplayer online game, in the style of "Trade Wars'.
Quote:Original post by The Frugal Gourmet

Have you ever watched? It has nothing to do with real survival whatsoever. In fact, if have wilderness skills you are very likely to be ejected quickly because you will be perceived of as a threat. :)

Yeah, probably. I'd have to act like a drunk most of the time, (secretly enjoying my "discomfort") and finally, at the end, reveal that I really am Superman!! who I am...

Bah - I wouldn't have the patientce to wait for 10 hours in a line anyway. I need contacts in the higher up of things...

not quite...
I was one of the casters (the person who casts people in a specific role based on how they adition, just to remove any ambiguity) today at an audition that took ~8 hours (we auditioned ~12 people). It was nice to see things from the other end for a change - oh the occasional nervousness and lack of attention.

My suggestion to you is to keep it cool - if I were casting you, the last thing I'd want to see is another person who's about to freak out. Than again, you probably already know this. Just be prepared for anything.

I'll elaborate, if I may.

Me and a fellow spawn of a director are looking for people to play certain roles (we both already have the scripts and much of the preproduction process behind us). So we decided to hold a joint public auditioning (well, almost public - we simply sent out emails to mailing lists that showed the greatest potential of generating feedback).

This is what we did to them: we divided the audition in three parts - an improvisation, a dialog and expressions of different emotions (along the lines of "say this sentence like you were angry, then like you were sad, then with passion, etc"). All the auditionees knew about was the dialog: we had prepared a short text which they could read and prepare in advance. That was all we told them. When they entered, we told them to chill and "just be someone else" (the room we were auditioning them in was really really official - like in that Geri Halliwell music video, but with REALLY bad acoustics). Then we stuck a camera in their face, a proper Canon XL-1, along with a directional mic. I think this was a real turn-off for many as they probably weren't ready to be filmed during the audition.

The first part was prepared by me (a complete surprise to the auditionees): I had prepared a silly short background story, which went something like this:

You have a friend called Jack. You've been really good friends all your life, but your relationship is quite dysfunctional as you've also always been playing pranks on each other all your lives. The last prank Jack played on you was that he told your new girl/boyfriend that you have left six of your partners over the last month. He also stuck chewing gum in your appartment door's key hole and hung your cat on a clothing line by its tail. You just learnt that Jack was behind this all yesterday. You are now here and Jack enters the room.

You wouldn't believe how many just didn't manage to do anything when I finished the description and stared at them in wait for a response. In other words, as I said above: be prepared for anything.

Of course, auditioning for the Survivor isn't probably much like what we did, but it's still an audition and auditioners often do weird things to see how different you are.

For instance, at one point I had my last frankfurter pie left and I didn't feel like eating it. One of the people there had a weird little doll-thingy (not so much a doll as a stuffed elephant on a large spring kind of thingy) with her, so we stuck a pen through the pie and placed the pie on the elephant's head. We positioned elephant in the middle of the desk (right in front of the auditionee) behind my digital camera, staring outward. Just to see what kind of an effect it would have on the person trying to concentrate. Oddly, she either didn't notice it or was too nervous to realize what she was looking at.

Oh, and here's my third bit of advice: be prepared for anything.

"Literally, it means that Bob is everything you can think of, but not dead; i.e., Bob is a purple-spotted, yellow-striped bumblebee/dragon/pterodactyl hybrid with a voracious addiction to Twix candy bars, but not dead."- kSquared
Quote:Original post by Perfunction
bah, reality tv needs to die...stop encouraging it.

Agreed

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement