[java] What do I need ?

Started by
16 comments, last by Tanaric 19 years, 3 months ago
Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for all that info.

Alright, I just formatted my hard drive this weekend and have a nice clean installation of Win XP Pro (SP2) so I want to make sure I install the right thing.

At the Java site it says that to compile servlets I need the 'JavaServer Web Development Kit'. I used to download just the J2SE 1.4.2 so should I download the J2EE SDK now instead ?

The J2EE 1.4 has the 'Sun Java System Application Server Platform' in it, is that the development kit I need to compile servlets or is that an actual server (like IIS) ?

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate it.

PS - no, I'm not from Brazil, I'm from New York :)
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Unfortuinately, there's no way to throw compiler errors when some bastard you're working with decides to use generics (which break arrays, amongst other things), there's no:

javac -refuseToUseCodeThatUsesShittyGenerics *.java

that would throw compiler errors if any of your 3rd party libs or linked libs tried using generics.

Can't you just use the "-source 1.4" flag with the compiler? Although personally I'm staying firmly with 1.4 for the forseeable future.

OT.

That will also disable all the other modifications from java 5, some of which are *genuinely useful and an improvement to the java language* (unlike generics, which is an ugly hack to make Sun's Collections API look a little less shit, and in so-doing make Sun look a little less incompetent).
Quote:Original post by Endemoniada

Alright, I just formatted my hard drive this weekend and have a nice clean installation of Win XP Pro (SP2) so I want to make sure I install the right thing.

There is no such thing.
Quote:
At the Java site it says that to compile servlets I need the 'JavaServer Web Development Kit'. I used to download just the J2SE 1.4.2 so should I download the J2EE SDK now instead ?

J2EE is extension of J2SE so you need to have both. Don't forget to download documantation.
I thought you were brazillian because of your nick =D It's a common word around here.

As Raghar said, you will need both the J2SE and the J2EE. The application server is where you deploy your servlets and beans applications.

Good thing to do is to read the java tutorial, also the version for J2EE. That will teach you how to deploy applications and all stuff related to the server 'manteinance'. Try that before using an IDE that does everything for you - like Netbeans.

Cya
Son of Cain

[Edited because of typing mistakes. Forgive my english, I always ask for that]
a.k.a javabeats at yahoo.ca
whats wrong with notepad and the command prompt?
Roger that, lets run like hell!
/me goes rummaging through closet, looking for his Troll-slaying sword (+2 against all giant-sized humanoids)
Notepad disadvantages: no bracer highlighting, no auto indent, no colors.
It's great for writting books however.

If by command line means batch file then double click, it's comparable with right click and choice from menu.

And yes do not what was it...

Something about trolling.
To those complaining about Java 5.0 in relation to generics/arrays:
Please post a link or provide a real explanation of the issue. Without any kind of substantiation, your claims mean nothing. I've been using generics with arrays in my code together since they were released, and I have experienced nothing but joy.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement