Mobile Phone games

Started by
10 comments, last by shmoove 19 years, 3 months ago

Hi,

I saw the thread on mobile phone programming and I want to try something new (never done phone programming before).

I want to try to program for the Siemens A60, maybe at first some simple apps, and a few games.

Can anyone tell me some tutorials/pointers on what i have to do ,is this possible using linux? :D, how do i start? what type of data cable do i need? what language is used? what graphics apis are used? your bank account size?

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Genjix
Can anyone tell me some tutorials/pointers on what i have to do

I assume the device supports J2ME at least 1.0. Obtain Sun's WTK104 (or later 1.0 version), and have a play with that (It is available for Linux).

Obtain the device programming documentation from the maker, and any extra classes you need to compile against for that device.

The manufacturer may also provide an emulator for that specific device. Failing that, you can edit the WTK104 device definition so that the number of buttons and resolution at least match the device (it won't have any custom APIs though).

Quote:
,is this possible using linux?

The only drawback with using Linux will be that the vendor's emulator may be win32-specific. However you'll still be able to use the Sun emulator.

I found this with my SonyEricsson T610, although it wasn't much of a problem because their emulator sucks anyway.

Quote:
:D, how do i start?

Compile some of Sun's samples and try running them on the device.

Quote:
what type of data cable do i need?

The right type for your device. You can also download the games from a web server if the phone supports GPRS or similar (although you may be charged a little for this!). You can also use Bluetooth if the phone supports it (That's what I do), and perhaps infrared.

Quote:
what language is used?

Java. It's like proper Java except much simpler, there is 99% less API, no floating point etc.

Quote:
what graphics apis are used?

There is a graphics and UI API specifically for MIDP phones, in package javax.microedition.lcdui

Quote:
your bank account size?

Negative I think

Mark
Can anyone tell me some tutorials/pointers on what i have to do ,is this possible using linux?

Most definately possible using Linux, I would give a shite about the emulators being win32 specific, as Mark says they are customisable. Sony Ericsson emulators are just tweaked WTK emulators. In fact emulator is probably the incorrect term, think of them more as simulators as you'll find out the spped on phone varies wildly.

Tutorial:

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1949.asp

It's pretty good as an intro.

:D, how do i start? what type of data cable do i need? what language is used? what graphics apis are used? your bank account size?

Most data cables work on Linux, most are just a serial USB adpator. You can also transfer JAR and JAD over GPRS or WAP, known as OTA (Over The Air).

JAVA or SymbianOS (C++) if you are developing for anywhere except the USA.

Some phones can use OpenGL ES, but the most compatible grpahics API is the one built into J2MR, which is rubbish, but there are several work around. Nokia also have something called Direct Graphics.

About €10.05 methinks.

I reccommend once you learn the jist of J2ME you start writing simple puzzle games, then maybe a 2D space shooter, always a good way to learn.

Ok, thanks very much, Java's a surprise would've expected something less abstracted like C.

Thank you for the great links. About the documentation... where can i find this? I looked all over siemens and there was nothing there, even though im sure its possible because they sell data cables and as you said you can download games.

Do you recommend I try another phone (maybe one of the many nokias?), or does it not warrant a switch?

I don't believe for a minute that Siemens have no online documentation for their J2ME phones.

All the other vendors do - some require registration, but as far as I'm aware, none are charging (Possible exception: nGage, but that's not really a phone anyway)

Mark
I hate to spoonfeed, but

Here is some documentation and tools from Siemens which may include that for your phone.

It looks like you have to register to get them, but free of charge presumably.

Mark
Ok, thanks very much to all.
can anyone show links on how to add native code in j2me?
Quote:Original post by davenirline
can anyone show links on how to add native code in j2me?

You can't. You have to do with the APIs provided by the phone.

shmoove
Try also the consoles, PDAs, and cell phones forum. :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement