New Year, New Game, New Site

Started by
6 comments, last by Joshnathan 19 years, 3 months ago
Hi all, First of all I want to wish you all a HAPPY NEW YEAR. Now that this is done, I would like to show you my(our) new game. It is a standard pong game (again). But this time I knew how to program it before I started, which means it looks way better :D. Try it out if you have the time. Also, if you have loads of spare time, please give me some comments on our website which I completely renewed a few days ago. I want to know what is still missing. Game: Sismondi Pong 2 Website: www.sismondigames.com Hope you like the game, Joshua
-----------------------------Sismondi GamesStarted c++ in October 2004...
Advertisement
The pong game looks pretty nice. You could shrink the text size in the instructions. Unless it runs slow on my computer for some reason, this doesn't run as smoothly as the original pong. Not a big deal but the choppiness can get annoying. Also, does the ball pick up speed? It's hard to tell. But it makes it more of a challenge if the ball and the AI paddle move quicker as the round goes on. Last thing. Say if I'm going down and I press up. When I let go of down, I'm at a dead stop not going anywhere even though I'm holding up.

But overall it was nice. The things I mentioned should be something to work on to improve playability.

Your website looks good too. Keep pumping out content as you improve and it will be a way to show your improvement over time, to yourself and to others.
Thanks for the advice, I will do my best and keep it in mind. Now I made this pong, does anyone know what would be the next logical step into game developpement?
Graphically it looks great and plays great for the most part. After a few minutes though, it went to level negative two and the AI became extremely stupid and avoided the ball. I don't know what exactly could have triggered this event.

Other than that small bug, it plays great for level 1 and 2 before going negative for some reason. Really fun to play!
Quote:Original post by Joshnathan
Thanks for the advice, I will do my best and keep it in mind. Now I made this pong, does anyone know what would be the next logical step into game developpement?

You're expecting another game suggestion, yes?

Stop.

First, learn about refactoring, and make your existing code as clean as you can. And detect bugs/receive bug reports, and fix the problems.

I.e., do a *full cycle* on your first game, first. Especially if you want to be publishing stuff in the future (which seems likely given you've gone and grabbed yourself a web domain...)
ok, I will do my best. Anyone experienced any bugs till now?
Quote:Original post by Nick Manley
After a few minutes though, it went to level negative two and the AI became extremely stupid and avoided the ball. I don't know what exactly could have triggered this event.

Weird, I really don't know why that happened, i never had that problem...
I released the source code, you can get it under tutorials --> game tutorials on www.sismondigames.com
or get it directly Sismondi Pong -- source code

Please give me some tips on how I could optimize it and keep it cleaner,
Joshua

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement