Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Still DirectDrawCreate problems in VB

Started by JonnyQuest Oct 22, 2000 at 4:53 AM 4 replies 800+ views
Original Post
JonnyQuest
JonnyQuest
hi... I''m still having problems with DirectDrawCreate() [DX7] No matter what GUID I pass I *always* create the DirectDraw object for the primary display adapter. Do I have to modify the GUID in some manner? Do I have to use something else than DirectDrawCreate? I''ve tried this with 3(!) video cards in the PC and depending on which one i set to the primary display adapter in the BIOS setup I *always* get the DD object for that one. I seem to be getting a valid DD GUID from the enumeration. (something like {D7B71CFA-4349-11CF-AA71-0220AEC2CD35}) ANYONE??? PLEASE! - JQ, PWC Software "There are no pessimists, optimists and realists; just pessimists and optimists who think they're realists" -me
~phil
PyroBoy
PyroBoy
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the VB DX7 support is somewhat lacking in this department, and that DirectDraw/Direct3D will only enumerate primary devices.
I don''t know for sure though... Can anyone elaborate on this?

MuteAngel
MuteAngel
I don''t use VB so I''m not sure at all but have you tried DirectDrawCreateEx() ?
JonnyQuest
JonnyQuest
Hmmm first of all thanks for your replies.

PyroBoy:
Well, I can *enumerate* the various devices, I just can''t create DirectDraw objects for them (only for the primary adapter)
If you can really only use the primary device in VB why:
1) doesn''t it say so in the SDK documentation?
2) is there the option to pass a GUID?
3) can I enumerate all devices properly?

MuteAngel:
There is no DirectDrawCreateEx() in DX/VB

I''ve still got no clue if I can solve this and if yes, how.

- JQ, PWC Software
"There are no pessimists, optimists and realists; just pessimists and optimists who think they're realists" -me
~phil
nes8bit
nes8bit
You should enumerate your primary display adapters because the GUIDS are weird 128 bit numbers. Look at the DX7 SDK samples in the DirectDraw directory. Look for tutorial5 or something. That shows how to enumerate devices correctly. I''d give you more info, but I''ve never enumerated a secondary device because I don''t have a secondary device

---------------------------
www.bountyhunterinc.com t-shirts for the morally impaired.
JonnyQuest
JonnyQuest
Thanks, nes. I had forgotten that one. Anyway, it seems that MS can''t get it to work either. The sample enumerates the devices (like I do), creates the DD object (like I do) and finds out the caps. Unfortunately, it retrieves the caps for the primary display adapter, so it''s the same problem. Aaaaaargh!

Do I have to dump my game now? All that effort?



- JQ, PWC Software
"There are no pessimists, optimists and realists; just pessimists and optimists who think they're realists" -me
~phil

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.