FPS/RTS hybrid, anyone?

Started by
23 comments, last by allnamestaken 12 years, 7 months ago
I was reading azari's post on FPS innovation, when a short idea came up to me- Why not a multiplayer game where each side plays a different genre? It would probably go this: Side A plays a FPS. They have to assassinate a powerful enemy unit/retrieve an important object/blow something up. Naturally, there would be a handful of enemies to fight. Side B tries to stop Side A by playing an RTS. That means that if they create a unit and order it to a location, Side A would have to actaully fight the unit there. If Side A blows up a bunch of resource nodes, B would have less units to fight with. If Side B clusters a handful of missile launchers around an important structure, Side A's mission just became harder... So, what do you think?
Advertisement
I've thought of something along those lines sometime ago. I envisioned it being used in something like System Shock, with one player as SHODAN, with Camera's and other units revealing Fog Of War, and other players running through the hallways in FPS, hacking consoles and shooting enemies trying to beat him. Just another one of those things in the back of ones mind. ;D

There are a few games that allow RTS to control FPS, i think allegiance (if thats its name) is one of them, where there's 1 (or more) player(s) called "The Investor", who builds/buy's starbases and refineries and the such. He directly controls harvesters and builder units, but all the fighers are controled by FPS players which he gives waypoints and objectives to, such as defend area A, or intercept hostiles B, etc. Some MMO's higher functions involve such tactical operations as guiding fleets of people in co-ordinated assaults, but none of these pit RTS Vrs FPS directly.

I think the idea has enormous potential if implemented correctly, as RTS folk could lay traps and plan defenses against people who's pasttime is to break through defenses and traps, generally being unpredictable and ruthless. FPS's would probably also enjoy the varied and unique tactics and moves the enemies make, increasing replayability considerably.
That would be fun. It would give FPS a new kind of challenge.
Random players share about as much discipline as most clan members you will find. Online gamers are not professional solders, and should not be expected to behave like professional solders. They hold no value in the life of their own video game persona and hold an equally low value in the importance of winning, especially fps players.

The FPS guys will not follow through with orders given by the RTS guys, as learned in allegiance. Commanding in allegiance was one of the most pathetic displays team work imaginable.

Of course, being an optimist I am designing team work into my game ļ
-----------------www.stevemata.com
Heh, forgot to mention how impossible it is to even get your teammates to defend your airbase in battle field Vietnam, or to get them to stop waiting for choppers and to start capturing flags.

If you can pull it off, I will pay to play.
-----------------www.stevemata.com
http://www.s2games.com/savage/

Savage, anyone?
Quote:Original post by SquareDanceSteve
Random players share about as much discipline as most clan members you will find. Online gamers are not professional solders, and should not be expected to behave like professional solders. They hold no value in the life of their own video game persona and hold an equally low value in the importance of winning, especially fps players.

Then it might be useful to have a small reward for winning. For example, if it was played in a series (this is only for example) like counterstrike, each side would get more experience points they can spend on weapons, upgrades, and units. You would get points for destroying structures and killing a lot of uinits (FPSers) or killing an FPSer or catching them in a large trap (RTSer).

Quote:
The FPS guys will not follow through with orders given by the RTS guys, as learned in allegiance. Commanding in allegiance was one of the most pathetic displays team work imaginable.

The FPsers aren't given orders by the RTSers. They are opposing teams.

Quote:Of course, being an optimist I am designing team work into my game ļ

Good Luck on your game.

Quote:Anonymous Poster:
http://www.s2games.com/savage/

Savage, anyone?

Kinda reminds me of natural selection with commanders on both sides.

The thing with savage is that its FPSers and RTSers versus FPSers and RTSers. In addition, the only real powers commanders have is the ability to build structures and place items (or control beast workers). As I said before, it seems a lot like natural selection.
Then maybe it can work if one RTS player bombarts an army of FPS players.

Luck!
Guimo
Quote:Original post by Guimo
Then maybe it can work if one RTS player bombarts an army of FPS players.

Luck!
Guimo

(For future reference, This idea is purely theoretical. I'm still working on Win32.)

That could work, but I was thinking about have very powerful FPS players and normal RTS units. Since the FPSers would be able to pretty easily defeat the RTS units, RTSers would have to be more intelligent in their unit/trap/building placement.
That sounds fun. It can provide very interesting challenges to both sides. The RTS side can be challenged by much greater unpredictability than facing one player and the FPS side is essentially challenged by a group intelligence rather than a string of uninteresting encounters.

Oh there is much fun to be had with this.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement