Tobacco Advertising

Started by
4 comments, last by Tim Cowley 19 years, 3 months ago
In the UK this was banned from TV and sports venues reasonably recently. Firstly, is this the same elsewhere in the world? Would the UK ban cover in-game advertising or not?
Advertisement
In germany it's been banned some 20 years ago. I'm not particulary familiar with recent EU-law but I guess it's been banned from all mass media (e.g. also sports events like F1 races because they are broadcasted via television). From an ethic point of view I wouldn't seriously consider putting tobacco advertising into a game (remember: games are also played by children!).

You should consult a lawyer if you want to do such a thing.
Actually, if by tobacco you mean cigarettes, its illegal to advertise cigarettes in the united states. And im pretty sure advertising anything about tabacco is illegal. So you should really consult someone on this before thinking about it.
Quote:Original post by d000hg
Would the UK ban cover in-game advertising or not?

I'm pretty sure it covers ALL advertising of tabacco and cigarettes, regardless of the medium its on (note how you dont see them on billboards or the backs of magazines now), so a game will be no different.
also i forgot but in video games your not allowed to have beer advertisements, an example is the Nascar games with the drivers having beer sponsors they had to change them to something different. By the way, we have President Clinton to think for this, lol
Been illegal since forever here in NZ, and they just brought in a new law banning smoking in the workplace.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement