A new Mech MMORPG

Started by
17 comments, last by Iriathen 19 years, 2 months ago
Hi. I'm AJ and i'm currently part of a group tyring to make a Mech Massive Multiplayer Online Rpg. We are about a year or so into the development and need skilled programmers. The language will most likely be c++ since its the most commony known and we haven't made a final decision on what the graphic engine is going to be. Interested? Feel free to reply with questions.
Advertisement
Is it safe to assume you haven't had a programmer yet? If so, then a year into production doesn't exactly give a very good estimate.

Could you elaborate as to what sort of work you have done?
What have you been working on for a year?

Uhh. I hope your still looking for team memebers because i'd be wiling to help. I'm currently research c/c++ programming but I do have an extensive knowledge of game development.

This is a post from gasoleendreams as of June 1 2004
Mecha Engineer (Making Real Humanoid Suits)
The idea of a mech MMORPG sounds great (aside from battletech sueing your ass off lol) but i might have missed something, where is the site for the game? where are your credentials? and what have you gotten done so far?
no one (other than first years and newbies) is going to join your game without that

hope that helps
-Dan
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
Quote:Original post by The_Sparrow
Is it safe to assume you haven't had a programmer yet? If so, then a year into production doesn't exactly give a very good estimate.

Could you elaborate as to what sort of work you have done?

Its been about a year and I didn't clearify it enough. Sorry. I'll try to answer your questions as best that I can:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[This is from the project manager]
Yes, we are looking into developing an "Innovative Sci-Fi MMORPG", which is designed to bring back the experience and feel of those table-top RPG's from years past. The main ground unit is the Mech as I have spent some years of designing a complex Mech construction system. It is surprising that there aren't a whole lot of Mech MMORPG's out there... actually I think there is only one as of today, Gundam.

Currently the information for this project is being kept quiet, which it seems that we will be making it known, but not widely. Reason for this, is that we are still in the documentation phase, but we are finding that we're going to be needing some technical types to help out with the smaller testing projects.

"Information on the current project. And that means more than what you gave."
We will be looking into providing an information package to made available.

"Information on past projects and show the work (ie screenshots, download ect)."
Currently we are in the documentation phase. I believe that is best to get things on paper first, before getting things put down into code. So no snapshots as of yet. Documentation does exist, but it is not ready for public viewing. A NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) will need to be agreed to in order to review the documentation.

"Possibly links to resumes from you and other people involved in the project."
That is a good point and we'll see what will be done.
But I guess I'll tell about a bit of myself briefly.
Long time gamer from back in the days of paper, pencil, and dice. Designed my own mech game, but never published it. It was too complex for table use. Four hours to play with four players, each with one mech and three hours to design a mech. It most likely would do well now in a computerized environment.
Computer side of things, over eight years of professional computer experience ranging from military to private, administration to security, and limited programming (Basic, VB, C, and C++). Currently Am pursuing a MBA to compliment my technical degrees and experience. I have worked on start-up projects before, but I will admit, never in the gaming industry.

"What you exactly need.(ie. instead of "music" you seek music of this genre ect ect, instead of "programmers" i need cpp programmers with a backround in OpenGL ect ect)"
Detailed information will be made available. We have some ideas from the research conducted of the systems we plan on to use.

Overall, at this current moment, we're looking at the possibility of developing a FPS to be used as a testing program for the combat system.

I think that is about it, and Am sure there is more questions that need to be answered. So go ahead and fire off those HEAT rounds.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
The idea of a mech MMORPG sounds great (aside from battletech sueing your ass off lol) but i might have missed something, where is the site for the game? where are your credentials? and what have you gotten done so far?
no one (other than first years and newbies) is going to join your game without that

We have taken that into considerations and that is being worked out by the Project manager. I don't really have any thing to show other than enthuiasm, ideas, and a strong will. Unfortunatly thats not enoguh to make a MMORPG so thats why i'm a small "part" of the current team. We've put down basic things like the races, background sotry(still being worked), glossary, and a bunch of other stuff.

The shadow-

Uhh. I hope your still looking for team memebers because i'd be wiling to help. I'm currently research c/c++ programming but I do have an extensive knowledge of game development.

I remember posting that before I joined the team i'm on now. From my unstanding that particular project was over when I did that post.

Anyone still interested?
not to put anyone down but...
Is this what you're saying?

your info:
-Previous completed projects: none
-Experience: Pen&paper RPG player, designed unpublished game once. no programming skills.

project state:
-Game type: Massively Online
-Design complete, took 1 year. Untested.

Looking for:
-C++ coders to implement design.
-people with an undisclosed kind of skill

missing info:
current team size and skills?
is there anyone else involved?
skills needed? if you need people, you gotta disclose what you need em for.

Also, if only the design is done, you're not in development yet. You're still in pre-production.

Cheers and good luck.
Working on a fully self-funded project
Thanks for being more thorough. Thats what I lack in. THat and the correct terminology. Preproduction sound about right. I've been informed by the project mananger that we don't need programmers right "now" but we will down the line. We have done more than just what i've posted here.

-current team size and skills?
about 12 members in different areas(programmer, concept artist, and others)

-is there anyone else involved?
Yes. Its not just me

-skills needed? if you need people, you gotta disclose what you need em for.
Some background in c++ or any common programming language.I don't know EXACTLY what we will need at the moment but programmers and maybe some musicians.

To sign up and find out everything first hand goto www.forceofarms.com and sing up. Then tell them my scn nm and sign up non-disclosure agreement form.
C++ programmers, eh? I'm currently available;)
_______________________Afr0Games
goto and sign up then sing the NDA. Dracas the project manager will tell you all u need to know.

[Edited by - gasoleendreams on January 14, 2005 3:08:49 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement