Adagio: v2.00 demo release

Started by
8 comments, last by FenrirWolf 19 years, 3 months ago
Well, unfortunately, due to a lot of changes in my recently life I haven't been able to complete Adagio as I had intended. I'm putting the finishing touches on version 2.00, and now I ready to release a new demo. I hadn't planned on releasing another demo, but there's been so many changes since version 1.00 (that I released on the website) that I just can't wait any longer. I want to share it! Adagio v2.00 Demo (~10 megs) The demo now includes not only level one, but level two. There's been a TON of changes to the game, like new music, new graphics, and a total revamp of the powerup system. The manual is included with the demo, but if you want to check it out first, I've placed it online. I'd like to hear what people think, especially if they are having problems. The website is located at right here, but be aware that I'm rebuilding it. So it looks a little funky right now... Note: There's a new system for recording level demos, so you will be able to share your crafty achievements with other players! Right now, however, it's not fully enabled as I am still working on it. You can play a demo for level one by pressing "P" at the level select screen on level one. It's me giving one a shot, on hard mode! Here's an (incomplete) list of changes: Version 2.00 ------------ * Laser firing sound not properly canceling on level 5 * Stutters on boss loading fixed * Redid end-of-level stats screen * Powerup system redid, now has overheat meter * New titlescreen, level select and gameover screens * Set powerup to return to defense mode after boss fight * Added red pulsating color to tilemap * Added powerup overheat sound * Added new status message board during gameplay * Added new experimental demo record/playback ability (still in progress) * Now saves highscore totals on a per-stage basis, including your last score * You now lose a powerup level of the currently selected weapon when you die * Clear ship banking state upon level init * converted sound/input/graphics system from sdl to allegro * Fixed several music crashes * Added three different powerup levels * Added new aggressive seek-enemy mode of powerup * Fixed broken boss outro animation * Fixed corrupt initial position on switch levels * Fixed rare random crash in scrollbitmap effect * Fixed highscore to use only 9 digits * Added individual weapon power level meters next to score * Added ship inertia * Added ability to re-attach powerup even from far away * Confirmed sound priorities to make sure important sounds are not cut out * Fixed slightly bug with lifeup sound * Redid powerup announcement voices to reflect powerup changes * Redid voiceovers during the level to make them more clear * Added new startup logo * Fixed a crash when moving to the end of a level in the editor * Modified enemy-seeker logic of powerup * Added cut-n-paste abilities to sprite and map editor for tiles * Fine tuned level 1; added more powerups and tweaked continue points * Toned down the difficulty of the level 1 boss * Changed screenshot format from bmp to png * Implemented new level flags system * Added new level flag: water, lets you cover a level in a wiggling water effect * Added transparency effect to sprites (for explosions and sparks) * Added new scaling sprite explosions * Added new highscore select screen (made it more like traditional shmup) * Redid "boss approaching" screen * Added theora video player code for animated cutscenes (not enabled in current build) * Added "disable" flag to flag system * Fixed inconsistancies with pausing the game
--- - 2D/Pixel Artist - 3D Artist - Game Programmer - Ulfr Fenris[[ Gaping Wolf Software ]] [[ GameGenesis Forums ]]
Advertisement
hey, very nice :)
i got your last demo download and thought it quite cool but this version craps on that one! the levels are starting to look pretty cool and i like the added voice overs (if you wanna call it that). the new format for level select and, well pretty much everything else is much nicer than the last.
the help/status information at the bottom makes a very nice way for displaying info too :)
i also think the new music suits a little better than the old, but most of the time that's just personal opinion...
all in all i really like it. i think you're doing an excellent job and as far as i could tell, not one glitch in it at the moment!
keep up the good work Fenrir!
the_moo

(ps. i love the icon for this thread! that flash movie is awesome!)
the_moo
That's why I released the demo -- I let a friend play it and he said, "WOW, this is like %300 better than the first demo!" So I'm glad to see that others think so too.

I'm hoping to get the rest of the game done in the next two months, and potentially include some other goodies, too, if I get time.

Check out this cool display stand I made for the demo CD! I plan on handing it out at a local sci-fi con event.

(Heehee, I figured the icon fit, since Karth is supposed to be a badger...)
--- - 2D/Pixel Artist - 3D Artist - Game Programmer - Ulfr Fenris[[ Gaping Wolf Software ]] [[ GameGenesis Forums ]]
One small update: A lot of folks have been requesting a non-installer based .ZIP version.

Here you go, all zipped up to go!

Note that the highscore entry screen is incorrect. The directions state "press spacebar/joy 0 to enter a letter" (correct) and "press L alt/joy 1 to erase a letter" (incorrect). You select the left-facing arrow from the letter board in order to erase a letter. You also select "END" to go with your name as it is entered. And if you don't *want* to enter a name, just press ESC. (This will be cleaned up in the full release.)
Very nice, very polished. Keep it up! :)
I'm [sad] that there's not a Linux version. Looks awesome though

Hero of Allacrost - A free, open-source 2D RPG in development.
Latest release June, 2015 - GameDev annoucement

Luke: Thankies! :)

Roots: A Linux version *is* planned, since I'm using multi-platform tools to make the game. There's a Mac OSX version planned too, now that my roomie has one and has promised me some time alone with it.
Quote:Original post by FenrirWolf
Luke: Thankies! :)

Roots: A Linux version *is* planned, since I'm using multi-platform tools to make the game. There's a Mac OSX version planned too, now that my roomie has one and has promised me some time alone with it.

I'll try the Windows demo tonight when I get home from work. Been looking forward to seeing more of this game for a while, it seriously kicks a lot of ass.

And you're making a Linux version? Man, you spoil us. You really do.

Great work!
Ok, I had a brief razz and enjoyed it although I've never been a huge fan of side scrollers. Odd considering I love vertical shooters. Anyway, I did notice a few problems regarding the control. It seemed that using the arrow keys I couldn't seem to travel diagonally whilst shooting. Like multiple keys were interrupting each other. However, this was solved by reconfiguring my controls to WASD which is rather weird. Unfortunately this then presented a slight problem in that some of the menu's seemed to use my configured keys while others used the default configuration. I'm guessing that's proabably a matter of legacy code.

Anyway, you've got my congratulations as I love old-school style games and I'm a little dissapointed you haven't had more responses.

Ack! There is unfortunately a problem with the demo -- if you play the two levels sequentially, the game dies when it tries to load up level 3. (You'll get an error about unable to find level file in a dialog box.)

Oversight on my part; In levels\original\leveldef.txt, the line that reads "maxlevel: 10" should read "maxlevel: 3"! Because it doesn't, the game tries to load non-existance levels.

Doh!

Ghosted: Several people have reported that keyboard error, but I simply cannot reproduce it on any of the three machines I use here for testing. My recommendation is to just use joystick control, or maybe the numeric keypad, until I can sort this out. :(

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement