Help please,I feel sick with Directx

Started by
14 comments, last by Thrawn80 19 years, 3 months ago
Don't give up!

I've been reading and coding for a few months now and even I get discouraged. No one ever said programming was easy(well maybe for some people) but it takes hard work.

I started with DX for a while but I moved on to smaller things, I programmed Allegro which seems much easier than DX. The thing is I kept programming, I dabled a little in SDL to try it and now I'm back to DX.

I never understood many books so I never really liked them. I did like Andre Lamothes book on DX, I found it funny and fun to learn. Having talked to people from here and having them on my IM helps too, I can bounce ideas off them and ask pretty much anything I want.

Programming DX or anything can be overwhelming, learning from others or with others is nice, IM me if you need anything. I'm always around.

Fud
Advertisement
Opengl has such a great set of tutorials alla Nehe, and it's a cross platform api, which is becoming more and more important, not to mention it's easier to learn. I've been playing around with Blender along with it because the api is exposed and it's easy to get information into your programs.
I have reading the book myself (yes there are many many functions!)

Im suggesting OpenGL but else "Dont give up!!!"
I have reading the book myself (yes there are many many functions!)

Im suggesting OpenGL but else "Dont give up!!!"
Hmmm... I wonder is there anyone who is familiar with BOTH openGL and Direct3D to actually point out which one is the easier one to start with.

I started with Ernest Pazera's Isometric book using DirectX 7.0 and DirectDraw. The thing is that, you don't have to understand ALL the DirectX components. Just understand what's important to you and learn how to use it and that's it.

If a component is too complicated to learn, don't let it block you. Copy it and paste it, make sure it can compile and run and it actually works. After that... move on.

Emuneration is a bit tricky as it involved passing of a pointer to a FUNCTION into the call. Aka CALLBACK functions, it's a non-class scope function that has its address passed into the enumerate to get certain information.

Upon enumeration, DirectX will call the function based on the address passed to it and pass you the useful info.

One of the standard enum functions is to enum the types of DISPLAY RESOLUTION and their BPP (Bits Per Pixel).... I copied and pasted that code. After 1 year into my intermittent development of my vertical shooter, I finally managed to understand the function.

My point is that, don't let one porition stumble you and prevent you from learning other parts of DirectX. Emuneration is but another portion and some learn it quickly while some like me took a year.

Wait till you get into SURFACES, Blt, BltFast, Lock and Unlock... :P

But till then I hope I'm of some help to you. :)
You'll never see heaven if you haven't been through hell.
Oh yes one more thing, take it easy :P

If you're reading from a book, chances are you're not in a gamedev company rushing out a product. So there is no need to hurry. I took 3 months to get to Blt/BltFast and even longer to get to Lock/Unlock which I din use in the end.

Intending to use it though, for alpha blending in 16-bit color. But till then...
You'll never see heaven if you haven't been through hell.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement