The Name of a game development company ?

Started by
35 comments, last by Sander 19 years, 2 months ago
For the record, ID Software used to be I.D. ("Eye-Dee") Software back in the days of Commander Keen, which stood for "In Demand".

- carb
- Ben
Advertisement
My opinion, forget about all that, just get books study, study, make games, study,study,read papers........ The name for your company is the last of your problems.

Like avenyr said
all the names from the biggest companies are very simple and just by themselves are not that hot but when you think about what games they made and their reputation you tend to associate the cool games to the name of the company giving it a cool sense
Name doesn't matter as much as what you create. Crazy Dog, Lionhead, Bullfrog, Electronic Arts, Lucas Arts, Norton... their names might make you scratch your head unless you knew what they actually made.

Silverfox sound as good as anything else!
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
Quote:Original post by carb
For the record, ID Software used to be I.D. ("Eye-Dee") Software back in the days of Commander Keen, which stood for "In Demand".

- carb

Actually it's shortened from Ideas from the Deep - the first Keen game was done as IFD.

Games companies are often have stupid names that have no real meaning (eg Lionhead was named after one of the director's hamster). You know all these companies because of the games, not the name.
Quote:Actually it's shortened from Ideas from the Deep - the first Keen game was done as IFD.

Really? I got "In Demand" from the id software bio on 3DRealms web site.

Here's a wikipedia link.

- carb
- Ben
It is In Demand indeed

You simply have to read book "The Masters Of Doom" where the whole book is about the legacy of ID from their seperate bedrooms up to the development of Doom 3.

Really good book , i hate reading but this one got me hooked.
Make sure your name is not too bland. I often think my companies name "Dynamic Adventures Inc." is just to bland, maybe "Blended Frogs" or some other hip/cool/awesome/ name would have been better. Also learn to code...
Glen Martin
Dynamic Adventures Inc.
Zenfar
I would recommend checking this out.

I cant remember where I heard about Igor International (maybe they worked with JetBlue at one point in time, cant recall) but that guide is decent, and definitely informative for those of you not experienced in this arena.

[Edited by - The Reindeer Effect on February 2, 2005 6:02:56 PM]
Oh nice :)

I download the PDF and I'll read it whenever I have time

Thank you very much !
As a bit of a tangent to this discussion; what kind of a domain name would be easiest to use if your name exists of two parts?

In my case Daedalus Development (or maybe something else instead of development). The problem would be that Daedalus is not short, and has a meaning of its own. Simply concatenating the second part of the name to form a domain name (www.daedalusdevelopment.com) wouldn't work very well I feel. But a hyphen also isn't that great, especially since the real name doesn't have that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement