[.net] Good C# 2D Engine

Started by
5 comments, last by Roof Top Pew Wee 19 years, 3 months ago
Hey, I started looking into what was available as far as different engines available for C#, specifically 2D engines. So far I've found Ovorp and Purple#. Has anyone used these? Ovorp seems kinda leaning towards a server/client thing. What do you think of these and do you like any others? This might have been asked before, I tried searching but I haven't had luck with that Google GameDev search thing. Thanks
Advertisement
Have you tried looking into coding the engine yourself. You might find that you can easily design an engine that will cater to your project....

Anyway have a look at DevMaster, They have a game engine search page that has heaps listed.
Mykre - BlogVirtual Realm :- XNA News and Resources from Down Under** For those Interested in an Australian XNA User Group Contact me though my site.
Yeah, I've thought of that. I'm sort of intimidated by both ways, coding my own seems kind of daunting, but then all of the features of these others is kind of daunting to me as well. I've made some simple games so I was mainly just looking at these engines out of curiosity. I've never known what they were like. I guess I just have a fascination with things that are designed and structured so cleanly. And one of the other things that interested me about an engine is that things like collision detection and networking and all that stuff has been done so many times that the way they implement it in the engine seems like it'd be much better than anything I could do.
I'm making my own, and when I'm done I'll release it for free (zlib license, you can do almost anything with it). I'm making it modular so there can be different backends; the backend I'm currently working on uses Tao.Sdl and Tao.OpenGL, but I will write one in pure Winforms as well (so it'll work on WinCE). You only have to know what backend you're using when you initialize the engine; everything is accessed through the same interface. (You could probably set something up with reflection so you don't even need to know what backends are available at compile time; I haven't messed with it, though.)
Have a look at Ogre documentation if you want some design examples etc - I think I heard that they are doing a managed version of it somewhere, though I could be wrong.
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
I have been looking around for the same thing and from what I have found so far, it seems that the best way is to just roll my own engine.

The existing engines are useful for their 3D code, which can be very useful, but they're all using their own home-cooked versions of their utility classes that use annoying things and make all sorts of assumptions that I'd rather not make... so I'm going to use the core workings of an existing engine (Axiom probably) but replace the non-3d code with my own.
Here's a new one:

FlatRedBall.com,

--Vic--

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement