is a AMD k6 bad?

Started by
15 comments, last by cyanide 23 years, 6 months ago
Hi, just wanted to know something. I have got a AMD k6 500, 96MB RAM and a SiS 530 video accelerator with 8MB ram. but i''m not even able to play games like nfs 3 and quake 3. like does this have something to do with a k6 processor as i think rest of my system specs are slighlty more than what the games recommend. can u help, like what else do i need? san.
[size="1"]----#!/usr/bin/perlprint length "The answer to life,universe and everything";
Advertisement
UM... i have that system (exactly down to the SiS 530 ). I believe that it is not the K6 but the fact that you don't have hardware acceleration.. SiS isn't a 3D acc, and I am pretty sure that Quake requires it. NFS3 doesn't seem to have a problem on my system tho... or was that NFS2... *shrugs* Mines 333MHz

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

Edited by - dwarfsoft on October 29, 2000 8:04:47 AM
Hey, I''m using a K6-2 333 w/ 128 RAM a Matrox G200 8Mb on a VIA Apollo chipset and games like half-life work fine (of course not at 1024x768x32 and 200fps) but it runs smoothely at 800x600... haven''t tried out Quake but I supose it will be basically the same...

and btw the k6 is a fully x86 compatible processor and 500Mhz should be enough for any game on the market right now... you should look for the bottleneck somewhere else in your system (RAM, GFX, etc).

w/ a good gfx-card TNT2 or something you should get results close to the ones of a celeron at the same speed...

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

"The shortest path between to persons is a smile." - Anonymous
------------------------------------------------------------"To a computer, chaos is just another kind of order."
like does this have something to do with a k6 processor as i think rest of my system specs are slighlty more than what the games recommend.

i wouldnt touch a sis card with a 60ft pole
Burn the graphics card and get a good one hell even my crappy banshee would be better. The geforce2 mx i''m getting is even better

My Homepage

Visit my forums
I have a K6-2 400MHZ, 64MB Ram, and a 8 meg ATI Rage Pro, and NFS3 and Quake III both run fine.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams."
- Willy Wonka
Eeewwww, AMD!
Eeewwww, SiS!

Commercial games are designed for Intel chips and 3dfx or nVidia accelerators. If a game doesn''t work and you have something other than an Intel with a 3dfx/nVidia, don''t even bother asking questions.
AMD K6-2's aren't really *horrible*, but in comparison to intel... I work as a network administrator and I just recently installed 17 k6-2 400Mhz boards at work and they would/could not compare to the Intel p166's! I'm telling you intel may be more expensive, AMD may make outrages claims but from my experience the K6-2's are not any good!

Aparently the new athlons are better but I haven't tried them. But that guy up there with the K6 500 who couldn't run above 800x600, well I'm running a Intel PIII 533Mhz (Tad higher on the frequency, but pretty close) and I can run Half life at 1280x1024 just great! (That's with an old Voodoo 3 as well!)

So in my opinion (Don't know anything about SiS) it'd be your processor, but I suppose it could be a combination of the too.
Good luck!
See ya,
Ben

EDIT: Spelling mistakes.

Edited by - cyberben on October 29, 2000 11:30:54 AM
__________________________Mencken's Law:"For every human problem, there is a neat, simple solution; and it's always wrong."
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."- Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science in 1949
I`ve got a AMD, the chip does effect games - but mostly if they require the instruction set on the chip, or for that matter anything like emulators or games that run in software. Try the original Quake on a Intel then AMD and see the difference...

But with a good 3d card, that will take the maths rountines away from the processor everything should run fine.

BUT BEWARE - I originally had a voodoo 3000 (AMD k6 III 450, which ran terribly. Infact I was so pissed off with the frame rate (around 20 fps with low detail) - that I chucked it and installed a nice shiny 3D Prophet II MX (nvidia geforce2 chipset)
But - I`ve now found out that the DirectX support doesnt work with old AMD motherboards - only the very newest. (Although OpenGL support works fine, which is strange)

So anyone out there who`s thinking of buying a geforce 2 card and has a AMD motherboard, get it checked out first!.

Paul.
damn it

To the people who say K6 is slow I get silky smooth performance at 800x600 in most games. Some games however suffer from some kind of conflict with a piece of my hardware eg half-life which ran fan on my old cyrix and s3 virge but runs like shit on my k6-2 and banshee. You can't compare the p3 and the k6-2 the k6-2 was meant to compete with the pentium but from my experience outperforms a pentium II quite handily.

My Homepage

Visit my forums

Edited by - crazy-vasey on October 29, 2000 1:14:51 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement