Performance problems!

Started by
2 comments, last by iMalc 19 years, 2 months ago
Hi. I'm part of a development team that develops an application that does image processing and where performance is key. We recently switched from MSVC++ 6.0 to MSVC++ .NET version. We are not using the .NET framework we still only use good old MFC for developing. Since switching we have seen a decrease of 15% in performance in our core processing unit. We have tried the different optimization parameters available in MSVC but it hasen't set the speed back to MSVC++ 6.0 standards. Do you know or have you heard of similar experiences? Do you have any clue to what might cause this performance decrease? Thanks, White
/TWN---I can't think of any "smart" remark right now! stay tuned!
Advertisement
What version are you using? I'd assume Professional from your post but I really can't be sure.

Anyway, the compiler is meant to be more compliant with ISO and C++ standards and generate much more secure code. So yes, programs may run a little slower. I didn't think it would be THAT much slower, but hey. It may require extra effort and more specialized code to get the speed back up.
Yes, we are using the Professional version. I think you are correct regarding the extra effort, I was hoping that there would be some kind of golden "switch" to get me back to MSVC++ 6 speeds.
/TWN---I can't think of any "smart" remark right now! stay tuned!
Try profiling it to see where the time is going. I'm sure someone will suggest a good profiler for you.
There are certain things that will be slow in .NET and they might be one of the things you are doing quite often perhaps.
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement