Has anyone tried this:

Started by
32 comments, last by benryves 19 years, 2 months ago
plugging in an IDE device while a PC is running? If so, what happened?
Advertisement
I heard someone plugged a hard drive in power and the IDE cable while the comp was on. He said it worked fine, but I wouldn't suggest it.
............Could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it?
I've done the reverse. It took 10 minutes for Windows to notice and fall over. Not bad going!
Then again, that might have been something to do with the Deep Freeze software...

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

I have, the HD wasn't very happy about it. Whole computer went silent with a small bang. The HD died but the rest of the computer survivied fine.
I am a spoon!Spr0w!
I plugged in a CD drive once while the computer was on the the whole motherboard fried. Luckily it was a Pentium 3 freeby so no big loss. All I did then was scavenge the hard drive.
-----------------------------Blandmonkey
I'd like to try it and give you an answer, but I value my electronics too much. So I won't.
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.
Quote:Original post by slackey
I plugged in a CD drive once while the computer was on the the whole motherboard fried. Luckily it was a Pentium 3 freeby so no big loss. All I did then was scavenge the hard drive.

whoa, i got lucky then... only the cd drive broke when i did that
If you want to connect a hard drive to a computer while the computer is running, then you will need a "3.5-Inch USB 2.0 External IDE Drive Case". This converts any internal hard drive to an external hard drive, using a USB cable as an interface. Just do a search on pricewatch.com, they very cheap and easy to use.

Slightly related to the topic, this site shows you how to freeze your hard drive to allow for maximum overclocking.

TIP: Don't try doing it!!
Quote:Original post by desertcube
Slightly related to the topic, this site shows you how to freeze your hard drive to allow for maximum overclocking.

TIP: Don't try doing it!!
"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement