Sound quality question and DirectSound

Started by
3 comments, last by Mulligan 19 years, 3 months ago
I'm creating a manager class to manage sound segments. One of the member functions of the class is SetSoundQuality(...), which takes an parameter of Low, Medium, or High. So my question is, what kind of sample rate, channel settings, etc would you find suitable for each of these quality levels? Is there anything else that would help/hinder performance that I should consider? What do sound intense games generally use as tradeoffs? Thanks!
Advertisement
High = 44.1 KHz, 64 channels

Low = 22.05 KHz, 32 channels

Hrm...
haha, is that really all?

Thanks
On the consoles memory use/sample size is a major concern. On a PC memory is a limiting factor too and may dictate the quality of the samples, especially if the memory budget is tight.

Assuming you have 16MB to play with:

* A game or product with only UI sounds can have high quality samples and channel consumption isn't much of a consideration.

* A game with hundreds of samples in memory might have a mixture of sample rates, to take advantage of the frequency content of the files, and use priorities and voice limits to make the best use of available audio channels.

I guess my point is that it isn't just the capabilities of the host system, in terms of how many channels of audio it can handle at a given sample rate before it starts to chug, but also what the memory budget is for the game. To that end, every project will be different…
thanks again

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement