Game engines

Started by
5 comments, last by Whirlwind 19 years, 2 months ago
Very simple question: what (free/cheap) game engines are out there and what are their forté's and weaknesses. I've wisened up a bit and decided to license an engine instead of trying to make one myself, which is simple not doable. Then I can finally begin to make real games instead of wannabe engines. But being a hobbyist developer I'm not interested in putting down a lot of money for it. I know of OGRE, but I'm sure there are a whole lot more engines out there.
STOP THE PLANET!! I WANT TO GET OFF!!
Advertisement
http://www.devmaster.net/engines/

Lists engines separated by API.

Cheers!
Webby
Hi,

I am also trying to decide which low-cost (up to a couple of hundred USD) engine to use.
I was just looking at that list at devmaster and it seems it is going to be hard to decide. I am going to take a closer look to some of them, but it would be great to have some feedback from people that have acctually used them (any reviews, experience?). There is a list of features I prefer (look important to me personally), but I am interested in general opinion first.

Thanks...
Try panda3d.com

The learning curve is very short. It's worth evaluating.

- Josh Yelon-- Distribution Maintainer, Panda3D Engine
That is truely a great site. I'm in doubt between Crystalspace and Torque. I want a stable engine which provides everything I need for making a game and I want the sourcecode so that I can fiddle around with it. Torque sounds good because of its networking system and animation support. Crystalspace for its mesh support and less steep learning curve (So I've read). And it being free and all.

I need to think this over a tad.
STOP THE PLANET!! I WANT TO GET OFF!!
It also comes down to your needs. Torque includes a GUI, networking, semi-functioning audio, terrain and is geared towards an FPS style game.

Again I say: It also comes down to your needs

You'll get further much quicker with Torque.
---------------------http://www.stodge.net
UT2k4 - free for non-commercial use Maya 5.0 w/UT plugin, free UT IDE UDE, and large community base for support. $40 for the whole shebang. Good to get started with. To go commercial look at Milkshape for $40(or was it $20????) which exports to UT.

For source included, free, try Allegra, etc.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement