Game Distribution? Please help.

Started by
5 comments, last by graveyard filla 19 years, 2 months ago
I recently made a Tetris clone with SDL and sent it to my friends, but only the one that has Visual Studio.Net (my compiler) can run it. I tried to run the exe (taken from the Debug directory) on a computer at my college and it didn't run. It asked for some dll from the compiler (msvcp7.dll or something even though I didn't use any framework from VS). What files do you need from Visual Studio.NET in order to the executable file? I thought we didn't need things from the compiler, but... Am I just missing some crucial fact here? Thank you!!
Advertisement
If you static link to runtime libraries it shouldn't carry any dependencies, though it will slightly increase the executable size.
That, or add the required DLLs to your installer/ZIP file.

To find out what DLLs your application requires, download Dependency Walker and load your executable in it. It will show all linked DLLs.

Toolmaker

To the left of your "search" feature there should be a drop down menu that says "Debug". Try changing that to "Release" and see if that helps.
I guess and the obvious one, they need .net framework installed most likley. Even if you didnt "use" anything from the framework Ive found VS.net stuff just wont work right without it installed
Quote:Original post by fg_brian
To the left of your "search" feature there should be a drop down menu that says "Debug". Try changing that to "Release" and see if that helps.

I second this. Have you tried it? Chanses are it will work just nicely, since you stated yourself you took your executable from the Debug directory. You might also notice that the executable will be considerably smaller than a debug build .exe.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"Ask not what humanity can do for you, ask what you can do for humanity." - By: Richard D. Colbert Jr.
you dont need the .net framework and compiling in release mode will not help.

vs.net 2003 requires you to distribute 2 .dll files with your programs : msvcp71.dll and msvcr71.dll. just put them in the folder with your program.
FTA, my 2D futuristic action MMORPG

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement