roll-pitch-yaw and heading-pitch-bank, difference?

Started by
2 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 2 months ago
Hi, I read in my 3D math book that “heading-pitch-bank” was also called “roll-pitch-yaw” with roll=bank and yaw=heading, but it is not very clear if the order of rotations (around y, x and z axes for heading-pitch-bank) was the same or not (z-x-y axes for roll-pitch-yaw? or same as heading-pitch-bank, heading/bank and roll/yaw words are just swapped?). Thank you.
Advertisement
RPY is the same as the heading notation. Its also called XYZ Euler, which means you apply the rotation matrices like so:
Rr = RotationMatrix of ROLL degrees about X axis
Rp = RotationMatrix of PITCH degrees abotu Y axis
Ry = RotationMatrix of YAW degrees about Z axis
Assumign orientation matrix O

New O = Ry*Rp*Rr*O, the roll is applied first I believe.
Ok, thanks.
it depends on how you're multiplying the component matrices, premultiplication of HPB will be equivalent to postmultiplication of RPY (BPH).

also, roll is not necessarily about the x axis, some animation packages (lightwave for example) define roll as the z axis and pitch as the x axis. Sort of analogous to being in an airplane with the X axis running along the wings.

whatever you're doing, make sure you settle on a scheme, and do whatever conversions you need to make other stuff the -same- as your stuff, if you try and mix pre/post multiplication or axis orders you will end up with all sorts of insanely hard to debug problems, and generally long after you thought your matrix classes were bulletproof

james

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement