Needs ideas for making Breakout clone

Started by
17 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 2 months ago
I'm trying to make a Breakout clone but need some ideas. So far I have the following powerups added to my game or in the process of being added: + Paddle magnetism - balls cling to paddle. + Number of balls multiplied + Lasers + Invincible balls - balls can break through blocks + Allow early level exiting + Shrink paddle + Expand paddle + Normalize paddle size + Level bomb: Destroy all blocks + 1-up Are there any I left out?
Advertisement
Superspeed
Slo-mo
Block-bomb - Go and remove some blocks near where the bomb is
Multiple paddles, on opisite sides of the block.

From,
Nice coder
Click here to patch the mozilla IDN exploit, or click Here then type in Network.enableidn and set its value to false. Restart the browser for the patches to work.
Don't plan too much before you actually start the project or you'll be swamped and overblown by the amount of work that it entails.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]

Guns will always make things more interesting.

1.) GUNS
I was gonna have a power up in mine where you get guns on the sides of the paddle and then you can shoot the bricks, while actually still having to keep the ball in motion.

While we're at this, i got a question:
When you make breakout, does the way you move the paddle affect the ways the ball is deflected when it hits it?
Cuz the last time i made it, i just reversed the balls direction and that was that, but this would mean that the ball would always travel a set path no matter when or how you play since you cant tilt the paddle.
How does paddle movement affect ball direction? (or does it)
IF it does, how do you code for this?

2.) PADDLE TILTING
just got this from my question above. If you could tilt the paddle a bit so you can deflect the ball at a different angle, that might add some strategy to things.
______________________________Yes I think the rev pad sucks/so does 50 and the DS. I like action and am not ashamed. I prefer brunettes but hate chocolate. Yes,I have opinions!!! Rate as you will.
Quote:Original post by Access

When you make breakout, does the way you move the paddle affect the ways the ball is deflected when it hits it?
Cuz the last time i made it, i just reversed the balls direction and that was that, but this would mean that the ball would always travel a set path no matter when or how you play since you cant tilt the paddle.

ball_vx = -ball_vx+rand()%5;
ball_vy = -ball_vy+rand()%5;

now, 5 might not be the best random number to add, or you might want to minus instead, but the idea is sound, i think...
Charles Reed, CEO of CJWR Software LLC

CJWR: so now you've just made the deflection random.
The whole point of my question is to get the game a little more dependent on the player's skill with the paddle.
______________________________Yes I think the rev pad sucks/so does 50 and the DS. I like action and am not ashamed. I prefer brunettes but hate chocolate. Yes,I have opinions!!! Rate as you will.
i know this would be outside the breakout style, but what about some sort of multiplayer? perhaps 4 sides and whoever gets the most blocks?

just an idea
toXic1337

2.) PADDLE TILTING
just got this from my question above. If you could tilt the paddle a bit so you can deflect the ball at a different angle, that might add some strategy to things.

I am making one of these too. However I do not have any paddle tilting yet, this is something that was in Atari's 3D Breakout game released in 2000 (AU site, not avail in US?). The only reason I do not have it in yet, is it would require me to use OBBs insted of my AABBs that are simple. I use AABB for the blocks, I want to use OBB for just the paddle so the tilting could be done. I like tilting better than 'random' or the also common, 'ball hits paddle on the left side of center, the ball travels left, not reflecting'.

CJWR: so now you've just made the deflection random.
The whole point of my question is to get the game a little more dependent on the player's skill with the paddle.

oh... *must learn to read more carefully* i thought you just didn't want to always traveling the same line.

hmm...
i cant think of any good system to do that, i've only ever seen it done as i've shown it. thinking it over though, five is a bit big.
Charles Reed, CEO of CJWR Software LLC
I haven't done it yet, but here's what I might do for paddle deflection.

Deflection would be based on where the ball hits the paddle and which direction the ball is going.

Assume the ball is moving right.
If the ball hits the paddle's left edge, I would make the ball move left and up, but |vx| > |vy|. As the point of impact nears the center, the ball will continue to go right without a loss of speed in x and y -- perfect deflection. If the ball hits the right side, the ball continues going right but vx increases and |vy| decreases as the point of impact nears the paddle's right edge. I don't know if it sounds reasonable, but I was thinking as if the collision made the paddle tilt slightly and the ball would behave this way after hitting the paddle.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement