Limitations on Vertex Programs Attributes?

Started by
7 comments, last by MARS_999 19 years, 2 months ago
I am trying to access 13 texture units with a VP and FP and after I use 8 texture units I get a black screen? I thought you had access to 16 texture units with 6800GT videocards?
Advertisement
I guess I need a clear up what is "Swizzle"? Are there any limits to swizzle in a VP/FP? I am just trying to get an idea what might be wrong. BTW are there any programs out on PC that allow one to code VP/FP in a IDE like Rendermonkey or FXComposer.
A swizzle is this:

Vec1= Vec2.xxyy;

translates to

Vec1.x = Vec2.x
Vec1.y = Vec2.x
Vec1.z = Vec2.y
Vec1.w = Vec2.y

and

Vec1 = Vec2.zxyw

translates to

Vec1.x = Vec2.z
Vec1.y = Vec2.x
Vec1.z = Vec2.y
Vec1.w = Vec2.w

i dont believe that has anything to do with your problem, your probably just running out of texture stages, by the way, in vertex programs i dont believe you can access textures

hope that helps
-Dan
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
Quote:
in vertex programs i dont believe you can access textures

With a GF6800GT I believe he can ;)

But anyway, MARS_999, maybe show us the shader? As Ademan555 said, I dont think swizzling has something to do with how many texture reads you can do :) , if you show us the shader, we might be able to see whats wrong with it.
"A screen buffer is worth a thousand char's" - me
No, im pretty sure that the limitations on texture access are determined by the language not the card, and thats one of the main reasons people use GLSL, because Vertex programs (refering to the ARB_vertex_program extension) cannot access textures, unless they have updated it, which I am unaware of

hope that helps
-Dan
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
well, its determined by both the language and the card, GLSL might well let you access a texture in the vertex program but try it on an ATI card and it will either fail to compile or dump you back to software faster than you can say 'wtf happened to my fps??' [wink]
I was wondering about that with VP 1.0. I am assuming they would have to update the extension to support PS3.0 features. Anyway thats not what I am doing but you guys answered that question which I had thought about. I will let you know if I fix my problem looking at it now....
Quote:Original post by MARS_999
I was wondering about that with VP 1.0. I am assuming they would have to update the extension to support PS3.0 features.

afaik the only way to do a texture look up in vertex programs atm is to use GLSL or NV_vertex_program_3
Quote:Original post by _the_phantom_
Quote:Original post by MARS_999
I was wondering about that with VP 1.0. I am assuming they would have to update the extension to support PS3.0 features.

afaik the only way to do a texture look up in vertex programs atm is to use GLSL or NV_vertex_program_3

Hey Phantom... Well I got it to work finally. I fixed the problem and moved on to the next thing... Thanks all.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement