Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Money in shareware?

Started by MetaMatrix Oct 31, 2000 at 9:31 AM 10 replies 2.1k views
Original Post
MetaMatrix
MetaMatrix
I''m writing an article for a local internet business publication about marketing games online, and am wondering if there are any developers here who have made any sort of profit from independent or shareware games. Any info would be appreciated...
MSW
MSW
You might try asking some of the shareware development companies for more in-depth info...but it seems obvious that at least some of them are makeing money, prolly not a whole lot, but maybe enough to earn a decent liveing.

I''d love to see the results of your findings...as this is a route I''m seriously considering
laeuchli
laeuchli
How did you go about marketing it?
Troff
Troff
Well, it highly depends on the type of the game. We made a "1000" card game, which IMO has a normal quality (i.e. graphics, sound, etc.), but due to the fact that people did not know the rules and hence were not interested in "1000", we sold about 20 copies in 6 months.:-))

At the same time a good friend of mine has made a Pac-Man clone, and he gets about 100$ a week.



Ivolga,
http://www.ivolga.lt
Ivolga,http://www.ivolga.lt
Eric
Eric
I talked to the owner of this company/site, Agressive Game Designs; he''s a professional programmer for a large game developer, and doing this in his spare time, he makes a few hundred dollars a month.
DarkAngel16
DarkAngel16
MetaMatrix, May I suggest you search through older posts in this section ?

DavidRM wrote a nice message about making money in shareware type games a few weeks ago.

The App''s he has made are
-The Journal
-Paintball Net (my favourite)
-Artifact

All of which have been or are very succesful.

If you ask him kindly enough he may give you some indepth info.
Jihn
Jihn
Well MetaMatrix....dunno if this''ll help you! Anyhow back in college I worked as the ONLY programmer on an idependent cult (underground) PC game called "Streak of Blood" with a group of friends. We had the connections to get them burned on cds and we marketed them over the net and with pin-ups (only in London). We made around $2,000 luckily at $15 a game and $20 when the cds got low, after awhile we stopped investing in it....but between 4 friends doing for fun, I guess we did make a bit with it. It wasn''t shareware though....anyhow I hope this helped.
Working Late + Coke and chips = Game Development-
acraig
acraig
quote:
Original post by crazy-vasey

How the hell do you do that with a link?




Just to point out.

AP forgot to close their link with a ". So the formatting got messed up because the next " it found was for a VALIGN="top" so all the table tags were lost.

-------
Andrew


Here''s AP original article:


I suggest you check out Ambrosia Software. They are a Shareware publisher, and were one of the first companies to build a hugely successful buisness only on shareware. They are considered to be among the premier Macintosh game developers. They created such classics as Escape Velocity and Ferazel''s Wand. Perhaps you could ask them for comments for your article.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.