Money in shareware?

Started by
10 comments, last by MetaMatrix 23 years, 5 months ago
I''m writing an article for a local internet business publication about marketing games online, and am wondering if there are any developers here who have made any sort of profit from independent or shareware games. Any info would be appreciated...
Advertisement
You might try asking some of the shareware development companies for more in-depth info...but it seems obvious that at least some of them are makeing money, prolly not a whole lot, but maybe enough to earn a decent liveing.

I''d love to see the results of your findings...as this is a route I''m seriously considering
quote:Original post by MetaMatrix

I''m writing an article for a local internet business publication about marketing games online, and am wondering if there are any developers here who have made any sort of profit from independent or shareware games. Any info would be appreciated...

Hello, In reply to your request I have written a game in my spare time ( I have a real job as well ) marketed it on the web and sold around 220 copies so far with my income per copy about $12 after credit card expenses and royalties to a graphics artist. The game is a Space Adventure, not a shoot em up and it is written in a beginner''s language called PocketC.

To develop & test the game I had to spend over $1000 on hardware & software so it''s not going to pay the rent.

Hope this is of interest

Ian
sundialsoft@hotmail.com

How did you go about marketing it?
Well, it highly depends on the type of the game. We made a "1000" card game, which IMO has a normal quality (i.e. graphics, sound, etc.), but due to the fact that people did not know the rules and hence were not interested in "1000", we sold about 20 copies in 6 months.:-))

At the same time a good friend of mine has made a Pac-Man clone, and he gets about 100$ a week.

Ivolga,
http://www.ivolga.lt
Ivolga,http://www.ivolga.lt
I talked to the owner of this company/site, Agressive Game Designs; he''s a professional programmer for a large game developer, and doing this in his spare time, he makes a few hundred dollars a month.
MetaMatrix, May I suggest you search through older posts in this section ?

DavidRM wrote a nice message about making money in shareware type games a few weeks ago.

The App''s he has made are
-The Journal
-Paintball Net (my favourite)
-Artifact

All of which have been or are very succesful.

If you ask him kindly enough he may give you some indepth info.
Well MetaMatrix....dunno if this''ll help you! Anyhow back in college I worked as the ONLY programmer on an idependent cult (underground) PC game called "Streak of Blood" with a group of friends. We had the connections to get them burned on cds and we marketed them over the net and with pin-ups (only in London). We made around $2,000 luckily at $15 a game and $20 when the cds got low, after awhile we stopped investing in it....but between 4 friends doing for fun, I guess we did make a bit with it. It wasn''t shareware though....anyhow I hope this helped.
Working Late + Coke and chips = Game Development-
I suggest you check out <A href="http://www.ambrosiasw.com>Ambrosia Software. They are a Shareware publisher, and were one of the first companies to build a hugely successful buisness only on shareware. They are considered to be among the premier Macintosh game developers. They created such classics as Escape Velocity and Ferazel''s Wand. Perhaps you could ask them for comments for your article.
Oops... I tried to use HTML, and screwed up badly. I feel so embarassed. Please don''t hate me.

Darn, I gotta get around to registering...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement