TORQUE or 3DGameStudio?

Started by
3 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 2 months ago
Wish one is better?Have heard good stuff about them but it would be nice from ppl that already used them. Thanx in advance GDev.
Advertisement
"Better" is such a subjective term that it is difficult for anyone to advise you. It depends on your own individual wants, needs and skill level. Even counting up the features won't help much, as it's possible that the one with fewer features has more of the ones you actually need.

When I was comparing engines about a year ago (including the two you mention), I chose Torque because it's cross-platform, includes the source code, has been used in well-known commercial games and has a helpful and active community behind it.

However, compared with 3D Game Studio, it is slightly less user-friendly for complete beginners. Although it includes built-in editors, you need additional third party tools to create new content.

Having said that, there is now a book available called 3D Game Programming All In One which takes you through the game creation process using Torque, and includes a CDROM containing all the tools you need to get started (some of which require registration).

Garage Games are also working on creating a package called the Torque Build Environment as a quick, simple way to get a new Torque project up and running.

I would suggest downloading demo versions of both products and comparing them for yourself, bearing in mind that the Torque demo is actually fully functional (but without source, support or a license to distribute games) and not just a rolling demo as it may seem.
If you already have a good idea of programming, I would avoid using 3d game studio. I find its 'automatic' language features a bit annoying, and devloping plugins to do what you want for 3DGS can be painfull.
I'm also not a big fan of Torque, but I would recommend it over 3dGS since you can obviously do a lot more with it.
In essence I would say it comes down to;
1. What type of game you are making
2. How good your programing skills are

If the game you plan on making is basicaly a 3d shoot em up then these are both good options, let your programming experience decide.
If you are not a great programmer, maybe take a look at some of the Macromedia products too.
They are very expensive, I never try Torque before,
But, I recommend you to use Torque ! I ever use 3D GameStudio A6 before (The TRIAL), and it makes me dissapointed...
I'm using 3D game studio and have been satisfied. content can be created quickly and with high qualty.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement