understanding std::streambuf

Started by
1 comment, last by renqilin 19 years, 2 months ago
i'm in a puzzle about std::streambuf. 1. what is streambuf::putback? and when it excute? 2. for the member function streambuf::overflow(int_type c), in case of (c == char_traits::eof()), what should happen? is there anyone can help me?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by renqilin
i'm in a puzzle about std::streambuf.

1. what is streambuf::putback? and when it excute?

well first off all its std::basic_streambuf, second there isn't a member function called "putback" how-ever there is a member function called "sputbackc" which pushes characters back into the input stream and its not virtual so its not mean't to be overridden, its envoked in streams.

2. for the member function streambuf::overflow(int_type c), in case of (c == char_traits::eof()), what should happen?

Well in std::basic_streambuf its a virtual member function that does usually nothing but return traits::eof() its mean't to be overriden by sub-types of basic_streambuf.

in case of (c == char_traits::eof()), what should happen?

it must transfer characters contained in the internal buffer to the external device and most likely return "my_char_traits::not_eof(c);" to indicate everything went okay. Now this depends on weather your doing buffered character transportation or not, if not you can just return "my_char_traits::not_eof(c)".

I recommend getting this book Standard C++ IOStreams and Locales: Advanced Programmer's Guide and Reference
Thanks snk_kid, you've been a great help!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement