wchar_t all the time... is this wise?

Started by
8 comments, last by chollida1 19 years, 2 months ago
This isn't related to game programming. It is more like a general programming issue. I am doing a little low level system. I am using wide-charecter strings now. all my strings are saved and passed using wide-charecter strings. However the change here is that I wrote the code in C++ ignoring the backward compatability for old C Null terminated strings... (char *)... do you think this is unwise? Now after having more like 10000 lines of code with 'wchar_t' everywhere. I thought I'd ask for a second opinion, and a third ... here is a little example of my code

struct name_equals_to
    {
    bool operator ()( format::file_info& _FileInfo, const wchar_t * _Name )
        {
        if( ::wcsncmp( _FileInfo.specialName, _Name, format::constant::MaxFilename) == 0 )
            return true;
        return false;
        }
    };

of course I've written the file_info struct with special name as a wchar_t array... My code will likely to be run on windows and linux, and both does support wild charechter strings... Anyone thinks that I should write the code back using a macro for char/wchar_t replacement?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Daher_Q3A
My code will likely to be run on windows and linux, and both does support wild charechter strings... Anyone thinks that I should write the code back using a macro for char/wchar_t replacement?

Perhaps not a macro, but a typedef certainly wouldn't hurt. And it could help if you ever need just normal old char behavior.

CM
yes Of course; i meant a macro for a typedef ;)
I think it really depends on the intended audience of the application. I mean, you don't really need to use the wide character set unless you are going to support different languages. If you do plan on supporting multiple languages, you don't really have much choice so the use of wide characters everywhere is fine.

"With my feet upon the ground I lose myself between the sounds and open wide to suck it in, I feel it move across my skin. I'm reaching up and reaching out. I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me, what ever will bewilder me. And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been. We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been." - Maynard James Keenan Name: [email=darkswordtbj@hotmail.com]TheBlackJester[/email]Team: Wildfire Games
Projects O A.D.The Last Alliance

Quote:Original post by TheBlackJester
I think it really depends on the intended audience of the application. I mean, you don't really need to use the wide character set unless you are going to support different languages. If you do plan on supporting multiple languages, you don't really have much choice so the use of wide characters everywhere is fine.

yes you made it. the application is intended for initially going to support english, dutch, chinese... but my idea was that win9x will no longer be a target for example...

and this way, I thought the app code will be cleaner...
Ahem, TCHAR?
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms
Nothing wrong with wide character. Picking a native string type is an over-complicated and exceptionally tedious business. wchar_t gives you support for UTF-16 with is the native format of the Windows NT system and covers pretty much every character you might want to represent. Even wchar_t is a halfway house though: It doesn't include EVERY character, the current complete unicode character is 32 bits wide.

Support for Windows 9x is not going to be terribly important for long but you can either use the "MS layer for Unicode" or convert strings yourself using the myriad of portable UTF to MBCS functions available. Linux is slightly trickier as the kernel was converted to unicode. They chose UTF-8, basically a multibyte system to support unicode. Thus to build on Linux you will need to convert your strings using the afore mentioned functions.

Conversion is much easier if you either find or write a string class to handle conversion. This is obviously not the only take on string handling but I have found it to be effective.
Quote:Original post by zoggo
Nothing wrong with wide character. Picking a native string type is an over-complicated and exceptionally tedious business. wchar_t gives you support for UTF-16 with is the native format of the Windows NT system and covers pretty much every character you might want to represent. Even wchar_t is a halfway house though: It doesn't include EVERY character, the current complete unicode character is 32 bits wide.

Well that advise only applies on the PC, which you might have meant without specifying. On OS X wchar_t is 4 bytes and is of the type UCS4 not UTF-16. Only use wchar_t if your programming for the PC only.

Otherwise use your own type.

Cheers
Chris
CheersChris
Quote:Original post by chollida1
On OS X wchar_t is 4 bytes and is of the type UCS4 not UTF-16.

So in such a situation, does L"Blah" become 4 bytes per character or 2?
----Erzengel des Lichtes光の大天使Archangel of LightEverything has a use. You must know that use, and when to properly use the effects.♀≈♂?
Quote:Original post by Erzengeldeslichtes
Quote:Original post by chollida1
On OS X wchar_t is 4 bytes and is of the type UCS4 not UTF-16.

So in such a situation, does L"Blah" become 4 bytes per character or 2?

On OS X it becomes 4 bytes per char and on windows its 2. On Linux its up to the OS.

Cheers
Chris
CheersChris

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement