2D Outline of 3D Mesh in DX

Started by
3 comments, last by screenp 23 years, 6 months ago
I''m trying to get the outline of a 3D mesh as if looking straight down on it. I need to get the actual coordinates that make up this "footprint" shape to that they can be used elsewhere in a 2D application, so attemps at stencil buffering are no good (I think). I''m using DX6 RM mode and I''m fairly new to it.
Advertisement
Search for articles about "cartoon-type" or "non-photorealistic" rendering, they usually talk about finding a model''s 2D edges.

-Jussi

"Do you own a monkey?"
Sorry for no URL, but there was a researcher for MS Corp. that posted many technical articles online, one of them was about finding silhouettes of 3d models. This guy posted his doctors and masters thesis there and everything. Some good stuff on terrain rendering and LOD there, too.

~BenDilts( void );
http://research.microsoft.com/~hoppe/

he has a nice article on silhouette mapping (as well as the mesh simplification, terrian, etc beandog mentioned)
wonder if it''s the same guy?

crazy166
some people think i'm crazy, some people know i am
There is a really good paper about cartoon rendering that deals with findin the edges of a 3D object on the nVidia developers website.Although I think that method only works on GeForce cards.I could be wrong though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement